lactose intolerant??

I have a 9 week old little girl, Ashlyn.. and she is having some major tummy issues .. how do I know if she may lactose intolerant.. Doc isn't any help, I keep getting pushed off.. so, I have resorted to taking it into my own hands as far as research.. any ideas.. she is fussy, sometimes uncontrolably.. and gassy.. i can hear it while I am feeding her.. and she just screams and tenses for no reason.. only after a meal tho.. she eats 4-6 ounces every 2 hours.. because her belly hurts sooo bad she just wants to suck.. but won't take a pacifier no matter how hard you try.. she has been having LOTS of diarrhea.. bright green!.. HELP! before i lose my mind!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would say try soy formula or neutramagin(not sure about the spelling) i had my daughter on it because of milk alergy and she did fine with it
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 10:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I had to put my son on Nutramigen right at 8 weeks for similiar reasons. I dried up and the formula was too much for his system at that age. And you are right, she is sucking/eating because she doesn't recognize she really isn't hungry, but has a tummy ache. So she is adding to her gassy, full belly. The nutramigen is for colic as well as allergies. It is corn based. I did try soy, on 2ocassions around the nutramigen and it made the gas worse in my son. Nutramigen will at least help calm her system down. It is pricey but worth it. If you qualify for WIC the pediatrician will write a script out for it. If they don't and are not supporting you, find a new doctor. After 6 weeks of ntrmgn we introduced Enfamil lipil, this is what I did. Mixed 4 cups at once. I added 1 scoop of enf lipil with 15 nutramigen. Then after a couple days I upped the enf scoop 1, decreased ntrmgn 1. This way switching formula wasn't a shock on his system.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Then it is also easier to determine if they are allergic to the milk based formula. But no doctor told me to mix it and reintroduce a new formula. That was words of wisdom from my mother. We have severe allergies in my family. My own niece has been on nutramigen from about 2 months until 12 months.....next week. They will try to transition to milk and see if she can tolerate it. It's hard when they are so little. Good luck. BTW get onto enfamils site and get on their mailings and you will recieve $5-$7 coupons for their formulas.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Thanks sooo much for your help! but, she is on Nutramigen now, the new Nutramigen with Enflora.. and this is how she has been acting.. I do qualify for WIC .. I went and bough a can of Similac Sensitive.. because its LACTO FREE..(does WIC support this?) or something like that.. its for babies with a sensitivity to lactose.. hoping that helps. any other ideas??? has anyone tried the Alimentum??? I am just at a loss really,,, thanks for the input tho!
    Mom2Meredith

Answer by Mom2Meredith at 10:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I put my DD on Soy formula-parents choice brand. She was having the same issues, and once i switched her over, we never had minutes trouble again. If your not getting help from your ped's, then find another doc!
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Infants are rarely lactose intolerant because breast milk is very high in lactose. Lactose intolerance usually develops around age three. If you are formula feeding, your child could have a milk allergy. There is a BIG difference between the two. Talk to your ped again, or maybe one of the nurses in the office. If they won't help, find a new doctor.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:55 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My daughter is lactose intolerent and so am I. We tried breast feeding but after 2 weeks, she wouldnt latch and I was only able to pump about an ounce every 3 hours. So we switched to formula. With the milk based formula, she was VERY VERY gassy. It smelled like rotten eggs (sulfer). Her tummy seemed to hurt all the time. Eating was the only thing that she was happy to do and in the sad aspect of it, it was also hurting her very badly. She would cry all the time. The only time that she did not cry was when she was sleeping and that was not very much. We switched to soy at 6 weeks and within 2 bottles, I had a different baby. One that didnt cry, one that slept, one that started smiling and cooing. It was wonderful. I know from experience from being lactose intolerent (have been since birth) it hurts really bad. Try switching to soy or lactose free and see what that does. If you have any questions, just send me a message.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Before you start messing with her diet, you need to find a pedi that will give you the time of day and make sure there isn't an underlying problem...she's too young to experiment with...and please don't take medical and nutritional advice from people on here...your baby is just too young. Please take her to a good doctor.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2009