At what age should kids stop bathing together?

My son is 5 and my daughter is 3 and every time it come to bath time they beg to take a bath together because they want to play. I'm just starting to feel like they're too old to bath together so bath time always sucks bc they're always crying for one another! I even bought them seperate bath toys but they won't touch them!

sweetmissa47

Asked by sweetmissa47 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• OMG, my son is 5 next month and my girlie is 3 too :) We are breaking it up, every other..... bathe alone and together and also depending on how filthy they are from playing in the yard. They have squirt guns special for when they're alone but like yours, they don't care. In all honesty I'll allow the occasional bath together til they either don't fit well or say something about not liking it. Siblings that close in age are best friends.... and it's completely non sexual
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think they are past the age of bathing together. I have a two boys- 5 and 2- who just stopped bathing together but because you have a boy and a girl... I would suggest to stop now. Not that I'm saying you wouldn't watch your kids but I just know that at 5 boys are more curious b/c of being in kinder and exposed to different things. I just wouldn't want bath time to turn into "discovery" time between the two.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• HAHA, I've just had to seperate mine too! My son is 3 and my daughter is 2. They've gotten curious about each others body parts so thats when I decided to seperate bath times. Neither one really has a problem with it though so I'm no help there. I'd say it's what your comfortable with. If you aren't comfortable letting them take baths together then don't. If you think about it and decide it's really not that big of a deal then I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks. I know it must be hard but eventually they will get use to not bathing together babe. Hang in there!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I was just telling our 2 younger ones, 7 and 5, that it's time to take separate baths. They are all knees and elbows and get mad at each other when they bump into the other. I usually like them to take one together cuz it saves on towels, water etc. But I guess it's time for a change.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I guess 4 or 5 years old. I can't remember because my kids are all grown up and it has been a long time. Little kids shouldn't be a problem. But I absolutely think they should not be bathing with parents,for sure!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• When they're ready to. What's the point in doing it any sooner? They're just kids. They're siblings. They haven't gone through puberty. They don't have problems with each other and nudity. Bathing to children is just playing and getting clean. I don't see a problem that needs to be fixed.... My DD bathes with me and anyone else who doesn't mind her.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• please don't take this the wrong way but I don't think I would have started having them bathing together in the first place. I only have boys and I bathe them together all the time but if I had a girl there would be no way she would be bathing with any of the boys, I don't care how close in age they are. But that's just me. But in answer to your question, being that they have been bathing together maybe you should try "weaning" them from each other. Start by (if you bathe them every night) doing one night a week separate bathing night, and then the rest of the week together, then 2 nights separate, then 3 nights separate, and so on until they only have 1 night a week of bathing together. It may take a little while but eventually they will be able to bathe separately. Good luck!

lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• When they're too big for the tub or they don't want to bathe together anymore. Being curious about each others bodies is normal and nothing to be worried about. Nudity is only a big deal if you make it a big deal. At some point they just won't want to bathe together. If you see inappropriate behavior from either one of them, stop the co-bathing, otherwise just relax! There is no "right" time to separate them.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think they are fine. Let them have fun and stop being a pervert. They are just innocent children.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I agree with jus1jess and moonlover. With their ages, you should probably be there helping wash hair (if not in the tub with them LOL) so just supervise and discontinue the family bath when it gets too crowded or the children begin demonstrating a need for privacy.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 12:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2009