Do you think preschool is necessary?

If they don't go how do you get them ready for kindergarten?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in

• I do, it's a great way to socialize your children with other children. it also challenges them in different situations, not being the center of attention, sharing etc. Being a teacher is a big job, and they go to school for it for a reason, so why not have someone trained give your child a head start into the learning world. It's also gives the parents a break! and gets you little one out of the house, especially during the colder weather.
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 10:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• No, I took ours to playgroups, joined PAT (parents as teachers). Taught them all the basics myself. Ours are in kindergarten and 1st grade and are doing awesome! We also have a 7th grader and he's doing great too, and he was home with me also.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• YES!!! I think its a HUGE advantage. I didn't think it really would be but but my son in pre-k because he wanted to go.... I am SOO glad I did! He's in kinder this year and is doing wonderful. I really feel bad for those kids that didn't go anywhere before kinder. They're behind and don't understand the rules and have a hard time adjusting to the daily routine of the school day. I end up staying most of the morning just helping some of them b/c the teacher cant deal with 5 upset children when she has 20 in her class. In short... if you can do it... then put your child in pre-k. Most public schools offer it or there's always private ones. GL!

beka03

Answer by beka03 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• WELL ITS GREAT FOR YOUR DAUGHTER SO SHE CAN MAKE FRIENDS. TO PLAY WITH HER ; HER AGE.. OR IF SHE'S TOO CINGY ON TO YOU. EITHER WISE I WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT IT UN TIL SENDING HER TO KINDERGARTEN. YOU CAN TEACH HER WHAT THEY DO IN PRE-SCHOOL . ITS NOT HARD AT ALL.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:27 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I put my son in preschool because he is an only child and I was a SAHM and his kindergarten was full day. It was better for both of us to ease into the separation by going 1/2 day 2 days a week the first year of preschool and 1/2 day 3 days a week the second year. The socialization was also good for him even though he had cousins close in age learning to get along in large groups was easier in preschool than it would have been if he just went to kindergarten.

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Yes, preschool is important, if just for the socialization and getting used to not being with mommy all day. If you chose to keep your child home, then teach them what they would learn in preschool. Here is SOME of what I teach my 4 yr old class; how to write names correctly, write alphabet, recognize letters and their beginning sounds, shapes and shape words, colors and color words, sight words, sequencing, one to one correspondence, counting to atleast 30, if not to 100, recognizing numbers 1-30, if not to 100. Alphabet is taught out of order so they are not just memorizing the order. We also teach math skills, social skills, manners, proper health (handwashing, covering sneezes and coughs). We teach the kids how to share, button, snap, zipper and some even learn how to tie their shoes. I already have a 4 yr old that can read and he just turned 4 in June. There is a lot that is taught in preschool that some parents don't

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• cont. realize that their children learn. My kids are also taught physcial skills, like kicking a ball, hopping, skipping, etc. My kids will ALL be ready for Kindergarten before they leave my class. Some may even be able to read and write sentences.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• No...I had the benefit of having a close family friend who runs and in home daycare where she uses the pre-school curriculum. I have known them for 18 years and she considers my daughter her bonus granddaughter.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• nope, I homeschool.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:15 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I sent mine to pre-school. She was bored in Kindergarten. They basically repeated everything she learned in pre-school. She had to wait for the other kids to catch up to her. I didn't send my son. He refused to go. By the time he entered kindergarten he was ready to socailize in groups.

They need to know their colors, shapes, count to 25 ( a hundred is even better ) write their name. Take care of their bathroom needs and tie their shoes. Basic manners. please, thank you, taking their turn etc. It doesn't take a professional to teach them that. Buy a few work books. Let them play some educational games on the computer. Put them in a play group. It doesn't hurt them if they go. Yet, It is not the end of the world if they don't either. I home school now so I think learning starts at home.It is amazing what basic things they don't teach our kids in school. From pre-k all the way up to high school.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 5:48 AM on Sep. 7, 2009