How do i control my 2 yr olds tantrums? She screams @ me and trys to hit me!

madiandjack

Asked by madiandjack at 10:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son did same and my baby whos almst 2 does it too now ... i got advice from friend who works for this pogram who helps young and new mothers ... she advice me to give my son time outs .. that goes by like the age hes 2yrs old then 2 min time out on my arms i hold him. or talk to him on a baby talk lettin him know thats wrong to hit mom.
    i did and do thse wit my baby and it works. sometimes when he just throws tantrums i just hug him or make some playful games wit him and he may just be very upset but he gets to calm down and forgets what he was throwing a tantrum for.
    it works for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I always end up putting my son in his room or even just leaving the room myself because the instant he knows I am not paying attention to it any longer the temper tantrum stops. I'm not even kidding. There have been one or two time where he has followed me and then continued to throw a fit but those times I take him into his room and firmly tell him that we do not hit anybody ever and that he can only leave his room if he is going to stop throwing a tantrum. You'd think it wouldn't work because the bedroom is the one with all of the toys but for some reason it is very unappetizing when they HAVE to stay in there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• What I do for my son who is 21 months old.. I put him on the ground and walk away. Step over him and keep my back turned. The first few times he would continue throwing the fit. Now he usually just gets up while Im walking over him. Usually if you take any attention or interaction away from them, they stop. If they are in a good mood and hitting, I just grab my son hands and tell him to look me in my eyes. When he does I tell him that its not nice to hit, Its mean, and he owied mommy. Then I let go and let him run away. Sometimes hell try to hit me again but I just do the same thing and he stops after a couple times. I usually do timeouts for things liek turning the tv on and off repeatedly and climbing on things he cant. With agressive behavior I like to get down and tell him its not nice and hes hurting me.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 10:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2009