Postpartum bleeding - getting heavier again 5 weeks postpartum

So I still haven't stopped bleeding and my daughter was born 5 weeks ago. I had a vaginal delivery with forceps and had to get stitches. I know bleeding can last 6 weeks but what's strange is that it lightened up and now is heavy again like I'm on a regular period. And I know that greater activity can increase the flow but I haven't been doing anything more than usual, in fact I stay inside all day with the baby and don't do a whole lot. What kind of problems could cause extended or excessive bleeding?

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It sounds like your period. I got mine back at six weeks to the day with all three pregnancies. It just means that your hormone levels are strong. I wouldn't worry, unless it gets to be filling more than a heavy duty pad in an hour or if you pass clots larger than a large grape.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Yupp probably a normal period!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• the same thing happened to me and i had a csection
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I got my period back at 5 weeks with both of mine. Some people say that anything less than 8 weeks post-partum is still technically considered to be from the birth, but I know mine was a period; I'd gone down to just spotting before that, and it was more period consistency and color, not at all like the post-partum bleeding. If that's what you think it is, then you're probably right. Give it a week or so and see if it keeps acting like a normal period (keeping in mind that the first period after birth can be heavier/longer than periods before pregnancy). If it goes away, then that's probably what it was; if it continues, then you'll want to see your doctor (or mention it at your scheduled visit if you're going in in the next week or so anyway).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:51 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I'm doing the same thing, I had my baby six weeks ago tomorrow, and started bleeding heavier a few days ago. today it was really bad. I kinda felt like I had cramps today but they weren't as bad as when I had periods before. I'm also not bleeding as much as I did during periods then too. Not sure if that's what it is, but point being, sometimes your periods can be lighter right after having kids. I know after my misacrriage, my first period was lighter and they say they are normally heavier. Who knows?
    ashwa

Answer by ashwa at 2:51 AM on Sep. 7, 2009