I think I've traumatized my son, how do I undo the damage?

When my son was a baby I thought that if I just poured water on his head at bathtime I'd desensitize him to the water and he'd be better at baths when he got older. My stupid plan backfired and now he is 13 months and he screams and cries in the tub all the time. I feel so bad that I made such a gross miscalculation. How can I get him to relax in the tub again? It's so hard to wash his hair now, he even hates just seeing me pour water into the tub when it's not on him at all. My husband got into the tub with him today to try to calm him and it didn't really help. Then when my husband poured water on his own head my son freaked out at that too! I don't know what to do.

Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Could you put just a little water in the tub, enough to bathe your son, and when it is hair time have him lie down in the tub? With only say, an inch of water, it would get him clean and let you get to his hair?

Answer by Bmat at 10:27 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Hmm... I could try less water, but he won't let me near his hair and he refuses to lay back so I don't think I can get him to lay down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I don't know if this will work but I bought our son a water visor, he thought it was fun to wear it and the water didn't touch his face. Maybe let him pick it out at the store and tell him what it does. Also try water toys to distract him. Let him pick out some that he really likes and tell him if he wants to play with them that it has to be in the bathtub. GL..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I really don't think its anything you did to cause that, have you. Recently switched tubs? My son screams and screams if I try to give him a bath but if my mom gives him one he loves it... I think its because he knows you're his mother and will do anything for him!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Lol sorry about that random period and capitalization, stupid gphone :p
    pookipoo

• DS was like that when he was little. We started holding a folded washcloth over his eyes, and starting with just pouring the water slowly on his back so he could get used to it.. He still wasn't happy at first, but he didn't meltdown as badly, and eventually he got over it completely.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2009