Are you still stressing over Tuesday's Education Speech?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/My-Education-My-Future/

At noon onSept 8th the President will be welcoming America’s students back to school – after all, sometimes they need a little extra motivation after a glorious summer. The President has spoken often about the responsibility parents have for their children & their education, but in this message he’ll urge students to take personal responsibility for their own education, to set goals, & to not only stay in school but make the most of it.

To help make sure as many school districts, classrooms, & students are able to get this message we have launched a resources page where you can find out almost anything you’d want to know. There’s information on how you can watch it on TV or on the internet, classroom activities that teachers can engage their students in around the speech, even the satellite coordinates for school districts that want to access the feed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, it looks like the speech will now be pre-viewed - which is essential in the young grades who will see this (6th and younger)

So, that is reassuring.

And it looks like enough people have seen the Hollywood "I Pledge" ad which was going to be shown at the same time as Obama's address, so that schools will - hopefully - NOT do that!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:41 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My child's school is closed that day so no worries here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I've got to say, I wasn't particularly stressed about it in the first place. My son's school won't be showing it (they did not cite parental intervention as the reason, but had many other legitimate reasons), but I will view it online and then have him watch it with me later.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:49 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• HEY HEY I said NO MORE! LMAO ahhhhhhhh Obama Speech posts MY EYES MY EYES ARE BURNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Okay I am done.
    I bet no one has heard of the AFTER SPEECH SPECIAL!!!! Yeah on like every channel that kids watch Nickelodeon up to VH1 Will be airing Get Schooled and of course guess who? Well it's supposed to be Obama indirectly with learning what did his speech writer do in school and how it got her to where she is now. So Yeah Tuesday there is NO escaping the man. lol
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My son said they have been talking about it at school and laughing at how outraged some people are over a speech.
    rubymoon57

Answer by rubymoon57 at 11:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Aawww...ruby that cute. teach your child that other peoples beliefs are stupid. Bet you are one of those "tolerant" liberals too....

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• As for my son, I amnot worried. He is 17 knows Obama what Obama is and doesn't want to be bothered with it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My son, who is 5 and has no knowledge of the actual breakdown of politics is looking forward to the after speech special on Nickelodeon simply because it is the President. To kids that is exciting no matter who it is because many many children at one point or another dream of becoming President. For many that dream dies before it even has a chance to blossom but it flickers for a moment. I do not know if it will be viewed at my son's school as I have not received notice but it doesn't bother me. We are the parents and I could care less what is said to my child because I am a STRONG ADVOCATE OF THE CONSTITUTION. That includes freedom of speech and as a parent I have established a dialogue with my child and we discuss everything so if I choose to negate something that he has been told I have the opportunity. No athlete, singer, politician, etc is a role model to my son. My husband and I are his role models...the way it should be
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 11:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Nope, I never was stressed because the minute I heard about it I made the decision to keep the kids out of school that day.  I started contacting neighbors, friends, and relatives urging them to do the same. There will be many empty desks in classrooms across the country on Sept 8, thanks to grassroots efforts.  There are still parents who don't want their childrens' heads filled with his crazy ideas.  We don't need him "encouraging our kids to stay in school" where they'll just be indoctrinated with political bull shit.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• In addition to my comment, I must say that it is very amusing that many parents are opting to keep their children home to prevent them from seeing a "stay in school" speech. Can we say "irony", lmao. Why not just have your child in another classroom or given another assignment that period. Way to teach your children that if they don't like or agree with someone/thing they can ignore it and make it go away. I wonder if I can get away with not going into work on a day my regional comes in because I don't agree with all of his ideas. Maybe it's worth a try...hmmm.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 12:16 AM on Sep. 7, 2009