whats a good price for babysitting?

i'm watching a lady's two girls 4, 1, at her house. i will be watching them this next week from 12-4:30pm what would be a good price to charge? i will also be bringing my 7mo old and 3 yr old.. she said she doesnt have alot of money.. but then again neither do we!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• If I were you I'd be having this conversation with her. Saying that she doesn't have alot of money, well, alot of us don't but you still need to be paid for your services. I'd definitely make sure to have this discussion with her BEFORE it's time to babysit.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I pay about $10 an hour for our babysitter...if you think that is too much then decide with the lady what works best for her income..just make sure its worth your time for the $ that she pays you.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 11:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Well, we pay $11-15/hr to my babysitters. We have 3 kids and live in SoCal.. Where are you? It does depend on the location and the minimal wedge in your state. I would talk to that lady about how much she is willing to pay. Since you're going to bring your kids, you may not be able to charge more than average. Good luck!
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 11:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Hmmm... well if she put them in daycare she'd have to pay at least $90/kid per week because they have a flat rate. Since you are able to bring your other kids, that helps you out. I would say an absolute minimum of 5 bucks per hour..... that'd be around 100ish total for you.

I agree with paying $10 an hour for a babysitter, but this is different since your kids get to come............
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• $10 an hour? is alot for most. I babysat for a friend 2 yrs ago and got $2.50 an hour. They could have paid me much more!! and I was driving to her house. I got tired of it and quit.
    Before that I used to babysit for people that were not making much and charged by the day. It was $15 a full day and $10 for half a day. You could also barter babysitting. If she is your friend you will work out something she can afford...you do not want to charge to much then she can't pay, then you will grow to resent that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I pay my babysitter $6 per hour per child. I would not charge less than $10 per hour, especially since you'll have your kids with you. That is definately a perk for you.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 7:50 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I use to charge $10 an hour, but she only fed and changed my daughter. She left my house a mess and never clean-up. Now, I charge $15 an hour, but it's one child and she doesn't have any children also. But, with the 15 that includes, eating dinner & snack helping with homework, reading and book, going to the library, and just doing things to entertain. also, bath & placed in pj's.

You're watching 2 childre at her house, do you make lunch, do you clean up the mess and dishes, do you clean up the mess that was created when you watch them. Do you read, play and entertain them. Do you bring your bring your own baby food, diapers and other necessities for your children or do you use her's? If you don't bring things for your own children then I would say $7.00 an hour. But, if you provide all these things and food and diapers for your own children then $10 an hour.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 8:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• For my oldest dd (3y/o) I used to pay (on average) $120 per week and I provided lunch and snacks and she was being babysat from 9:30am - 1:00pm 4 days a week
    jjk45xox

Answer by jjk45xox at 7:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Minimum wage or no lower than 10 an hour!
    lynsey7

Answer by lynsey7 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2009