My 9 year old son?

He throws ungodly temper tantrums when he doesnt get his way. kicking, yelling, screaming, pounding on walls, threating, throwing things. Am I alone here... He is worse then my two year old daughter. What did you do to stop this.??

Luckybear05

Asked by Luckybear05 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My kids aren't quite that old yet but I know I did the same thing when I was that age. I got my ass whooped. This is your child and you do what you want to but getting whooped for that behavior made me stop.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• read him the King James Bible while he is in a time out in his room. He will hear it and it will not return void Proverbs 1-4 is really good for this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• read through a closed door if he is violent and get him to a youth group at church.-prayers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• He has time outs, hes lost points, hes lost privileges like games and toys. He always comes to me after hes calmed down and said his apologies but its just getting to the point he needs to start growing up and controlling his temper.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• can you get him in the YMCA maybe he needs to exert some of his energy positively, where is his dad?

He needs a guy to hang out with too can you find him a safe nice coach to beftiend or a youth pastor buddy ect.,?

This is a difficult age for boys they are growing and changing rapidly try not to be too confrontive just when it is out of hand he maybe just a moody kid. but loveablr try to cheer him up instead lemon balm oil is something to calm their nerves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• try getting him a hobby like collecting coins something he can take pride in. Take him out to a coin store and get him interested in things?he sounds a little depressed.?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Sounds like my 9yo daughter. She never grew out of that defiant, tantrum throwing stage that toddlers get into. She has gotten progressively worse since she was 3. She throws the worst tantrums and I've seen her hit and kick her younger siblings, hit me, she threw her sister's CD player across the room into a wall, dropped a heavy toy on her brother's head (giving him a slight concussion), tried to knock him down the stairs, etc. He is 15 months younger but 4" taller and 20lbs heavier then her and he's terrified of her. She's mean and violent when she gets mad.
    It doesn't take much to set her off. Just ask her to pick up her clothes off the floor and she goes nuts.
    My friend works with teens that have behavior disorders and she says it sounds like ODD and she has extreme anxiety. We're still trying to find a therapist or something for her because it's out of control.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:43 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Have you talked with the school or a professional. Maybe there is something going on that you don't know about.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Sounds like he is having a problem controlling his anger.  See some books on anger management  http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=22&page=6

Talk to him when he is calm and let him know this is not appropriate  behavior for a boy his age and he needs to VERBALLY tell you he is mad.  Then when he does, acknowledge it.    I think if someone acknowledges our anger or frustration it helps to diffuse some of it.  

Ask him what he thinks will help calm him down in the future?  And if he doesn't calm down what he thinks the consequences should be?  Then implement and STICK TO IT.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 11:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• If he is hurting himself or others, call the cops on him and they will come out and have a talk with him. Get him in anger management counseling before he does something that he will be arrested and charged for. IGNORE his tantrums. When he is calm, talk to him about why he is acting the way he is, what he could do instead and what the consequences of his behavior is. Make him understand that harming himself, someone else or anyone's property is unacceptable and he will have to deal with the consequences of his actions. Skip reading him bible passages, it is NOT going to control his behavior. Stand your ground and do NOT back down.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 7, 2009