skin prick tests?

my two and a half year old went for his first allergy appointment on thursday. he's allergic to a lot (environmental allergies), and we are on the long road to figure out what works for him. my main concern right now is that some of the positive results are STILL on his back 4 days later. they are still big, red, and puffy. we've put his hydrocortisone on it with no result. how long should i expect this to stay?

abelsmama07

Asked by abelsmama07 at 11:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The skin test can take up to 2 weeks to fully go away. I assume they were done to his back so that he is unable to scratch at them. A cool oatmeal bath will help with any itching. Ask your allergist if he can take Zyrtec to help reduce the histomine production. Also, a postive skin test should be followed up with a RAST blood test for confirmation and detection of low level reactions.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 12:10 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• What does the doctor say?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• If your insurance won't pay for Zyrtec, Benedryl should work. Talk to your doctor. By the way, thanks for your question, my 2-yr-old will be getting allergy tests when he is a little older. He has food allergies. My dh & I are hoping that he will outgrow them. I hope your son feels better soon.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I agree with "dustbunny" try Benedryl; the results can last for a while depending on how really bad he's allergic to them. but I'd hate to see a 2 year old suffer, I hope he gets better. :)
    dorkish_face

Answer by dorkish_face at 3:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• thanks ladies... i tried zytec last night and saw a little improvement, so we gave it again to him tonight. i just wasn't sure what was considered a normal amount of time for those reactions to last. the funny thing is... of all the things he is allergic to cats and dogs showed the most severe reaction, but those are gone from his back. it's all the trees and grasses that still remain...
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• my 15 month old just had all that testing done and his reaction went away with in hours of the appointment......they told us to use benydryl cream if it didnt....however this last appointment the reaction on his back went away but his eczema flared wicked bad and his face broke out so I donno....he is getting the blood test too
    Lillette

Answer by Lillette at 2:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2009