Who is worried about the Swine flu?

Im really unsure about this one. Nobody I know seems to think I am justified to be really panicked about swine flu...but with a baby, im sure you all understand. There was a huge outbreak in california at a school, and so I am not sure how things are going to go in michigan...The school season starts in a few days and then we will see. My son does not go to daycare, he is home with me, but we do have some family that is still in high school that comes around...I just dont know how else I can really protect him...the news makes it seem like its going to infect everyone. My doctors office is getting a vaccine but I barely like the regular vaccines let alone a brand new one. What is everyone else doing? Anything? Nothing? Not worried?

soveryconfused

Asked by soveryconfused at 11:51 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am a little worried. I work in a middle school with special needs kids (some drool) so I am constantly washing and germ-xing my hands all day long just so I do not bring anything home to my 6 month old (flu, cold, pink eye...you name it.)
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I am not worried about it. I also don't have school aged children or a pediatrician that normally has a crowded office. Perhaps if I was in a more crowded area I might be more concerned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Not worried. I'm a pediatrics nurse and what I have seen of the swine flu when kids come in is VERY mild compared to regular influenza that we see every year and no one is freaking out about that. I recently went to a conference on pediatric infectious diseases and of coarse the topic came up... and they said the same thing... that the flu is mild, those who have died from if have had underlying health issues and that the media is just going crazy!
    The speaker said get the regular flu shot. And he didn't think getting the H1N1 shot was a good idea.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:03 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'm not worried about swine flu, but that H1N1 sounds horrible!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'm pretty sure I have it right now, and honestly it's just kind of a cold mixed with a flu, so not fun, but not deadly. I'm still bfing and thankfully that seems to be protecting my son from it, and if he starts diplaying symptoms I will rush him to the doctors office, but worry about that when it happens
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:39 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I am not getting my daughter the vaccine..it's too new and I don't like flu shots anyway...they use last seasons flu strain. anyway, just WASH your hands and your kids hands and use clorox wipes on keys, toys, handles, knobs, everything you touch...don't sneeze or cough in your hands and don't shake hands with people...it's the best way to prevent it is hand washing.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:45 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• im not worried about it. i dont sit here and stress over colds or normal flus, H1N1 virus is nothing huge the people that died from it all had underlying problems. just wash your hands etc. i will NOT get my dd the swinve flue shot, thats insane, its too new. i dont like vax anyway.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:41 AM on Sep. 7, 2009