Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would moving in with a BF take away my daughters and my Medicaid?

My daughter and I are on Medicaid... I'm working and a divorced mom. Things are pretty rough right now for me- I'm barely making ends meet. My boyfriend wants me to move in with me. And I know when I fill out forms for Medicaid and things like Head Start for my child, I have to list everyone in the household and their incomes. But what if wee're not his dependents? How could his income affect whether or not we get medical help- esp because he couldn't put us under his health insurance since we wouldn't be married?

If I would have to report his income, what if I was just a "roommate"? Would someone have to report roommate's incomes? Or if I moved in with my parents, as an adult mother, and couldn't get on their insurance?

Thanks for anyone with answers.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • I wouldn't do it because technically he won't be your roommate, you will be co-habitating and it is not worth the risk IMO. Good Luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • you will just have to lie about it. thats what i did

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • Anon #2... how did you lie about it? DId you say you were living somewhere else or did you say you were roommates?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • If you get caught lying your benefits WILL BE suspended. Think LONG and HARD before you lie.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • I had it so I was living with my parents,i used their address, but my taxes were independant and they didnt claim me so for some reason they didn't take them in to account. idk why.. but i lived with my boyfriend after i filed for it and got accepted.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • Lying? Really? Not big on ethics, are you?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • You may lose your beneifits because, technically, your expenses would be reduced, therefore your income would be "greater". But, to be sure, because every state runs their DPW programs differently w/different requirements & cut-offs, I would call and ask your caseworker. Explain your situation & ask, hypothetically, how your benefits would change if you were to move in with your boyfriend. Also, you may find out that you don't have to move in with your boyfriend b/c, after you talk to your caseworker, you may find out that you are eligible for more benefits (like foodstamps or energy assistance).

    Good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • Remember if you lie and get caught you will be banned from all assistance. My sister in law moved her boyfriend in. She was in section 8 housing getting full medical on her 5 kids (from 5 different men what a skank) food stamps and cash assistance. I knew she was working under the table cleaning houses and made enough to pay her own way she was making 1300 a week tax free. :( I reported her she lost all assistance including medical for the whole family. She was pissed knew it was me. She did her business in a legit way and married the boyfriend who added the whole family onto his medical plan. She had no business collecting anything.

    If I knew the anon who said she lies I would turn her in.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • Tell the truth. My husband is not the father of my children. His income (as they are not his legal responsibility) is not counted toward their care by the Medicaid office and they still qualify.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.