People who don't bother to socialize their dogs...

I was on a walk today with my daughter and my dog (a boxer/pit bull) and a lady walked by us with a big lab. The lab saw my dog and started barking and snarling, and lunging at him. Meanwhile, my dog is trained to sit and stay when he sees another dog for the sole reason that he looks intimidating. Had my dog not been trained properly, there would have been a fight, and my daughter could have been hurt!
I ended up telling this lady that if her dog is aggressive, she shouldn't bring him out. She said "Well, he just doesn't like boxers." I'm sorry, but that's aggression and it needs to be dealt with! It doesn't matter what breeds the dog doesn't like, there's no guarantee that you won't run into one when you go out!
After that, we walked by two pit bulls who looked at us, and then kept walking. They were obviously well trained. :)
What would you have done in this situation? Is (are) your dog(s) well trained and socialized?

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:12 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Pets

• In addition, the lady seemed upset that I wasn't happy about her dog trying to attack my dog, and she acted like it was MY fault that her dog had aggression issues. I mean, seriously...WTF???
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:14 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I don't know. Some dogs just have bad personalities. I had a dog for years who was never trained and never posed a threat to any other animal or human. My cats slept on him. I do think that the one's with aggressive behavior should be trained though.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Dogs don't need to be friendly, they just need to be properly restrained. The snarling and lunging at your dog doesn't constitute an "attack." Socializing only does so much for an animal, after all they do have their own personalities. You keep your dog in a leash and under control and as long as others do the same everything is fine. They don't need to like each other they just need to stay away from each other and that is where you (responsible dog owner) come in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Anon: It's my opinion that EVERY dog needs to be trained, because you never know when you're going to be in some weird situation, and you really want to make sure your dog can handle it. Like today, on our walk, there were hundreds of people in town because of Labor Day Weekend (hooray for tourist towns), and my dog handled it really well because of all the training we've done with him. But yes, aggressive animals NEED training. I'm sure that lady will be broken up when her dog has to be euthanized because it attacked another dog, but honestly, it would be her own fault for not doing anything to prevent it.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:24 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Anon :23: Not sure I explained the situation enough. The dog was about 90lbs, the lady was maybe 120lbs and she could barely hold onto him! I know animals have their own personalities, I've got 5 pets and each one is weirder than the last :-p
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• omg i LOVE going to the dog park!!!!!!! sorry i know this wasnt really your question but my moms beagle is the same way as that lab, the more she goes to the dog park the better she is!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:28 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I work in an art gallery in a very small community and sometimes people bring their dogs around with them. There have never been any problems, but one day I was at work and a local couple (who brings their dog around sometimes who is one of the sweetest dogs ever) had some friends visiting and they brought their dog IN the gallery. Well, they were walking around looking at artwork and what not and the dog came back in the office I was sitting in and started sniffing. I put my hand out to him, palm up like you are supposed to, and he started sniffing my hand, very friendly, so I turned it over to pet him, considering he seemed to have given me the signal that he was all right. Well, he bit me. Needless to say, the people got pissed at me because they said I was provoking him, and "He doesn't really like people." Well, if your dog doesn't like people, don't bring him in a public place!!!!!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 12:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Yes, OP all dogs should be trained and socialized. Sadly this isn't the case.

TO Sophiafarris:
    You are supposed to ask if you can pet an animal before you reach out. But I guess you know that now.Lessoned learned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• pookipoo: I don't take my dog to dog parks, mainly because he's half pit bull, and if he got into a fight, even if he didn't start it, he would probably be blamed for it.
    sophiafarris: I hate it when people get mad at you for something that's their fault!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• To Anon.....when they brought him in they told us that he was fine. It was only after he bit me that they decided to tell us that he didn't like people. Besides, I don't really think it matters either way.....you STILL shouldn't bring a dog that bites people into a public place that you are visiting if you know that he might bite someone. Period. Either way, no dogs allowed anymore!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Sep. 7, 2009