FIRST TIME MOM....POTTY TRAIN?

OK SO I'M A FIRST TIME MOM AND MY DAUGHTER IS 18 MONTHS OLD. I ALWAYS SEE HER TRYING TO PULL HER DIAPER OUT.I'M THINKING SHE MIGHT BE READY TO POTTY TRAIN. IS THIS TOO EARLY FOR HER? AND I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO TEACH HER OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. IN MY EYES I STILL SEE HER AS MY BABY...LOL...TO THINK SHE IS READY FOR POTTY TRAINING SEEMS LIKE A CHALLENGE. ANY IDEAS ADVICE? ANYTHING WILL HELP.

ABBY90

Asked by ABBY90 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i started mine at 22 months and i swore by anything he was ready and was giving me signs and well he was ready too bad he was 9 moths later,it stunk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Hi

I trained my daughter around the same time. It is not too early, infact the child tells us when they are ready, its a matter of are we ready to let go.....lol i know it starts with small things like daipers, then bikes, then dates, the high school and eventually the most dreaded "the college"...lol

It seems she is ready. One of my good friends taught me this trick and it has worked. She said get training pants several packs (3-4) should suffice the cloth kind. Then get a potty and a gummy bear candy pack....lol

Now everytime she goes pee or potty look at the time and record it in your mind or write it down if you like. For pee take her to the bathroom every two hrs and every time she sits on the potty give her a gummy bear, even if she didnt pee, give her the candy simply for trying. Try singing songs she likes or talk to her to make her feel comfertable and when she is done, "good job baby". Encourage her.
    rsambhi

Answer by rsambhi at 12:35 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Around 18 mos my DD was doing the same thing. I let her come with me to the bathroom, and we started discussing everything happening (hear mama go peepee? Flush the toilet and make it go bye bye!) I would put her on the toilet a few ttimes a day but she didn't actually pee in it until she was 21 mos. Her abuela bought her a potty watch, so that is our next step. You set the timer for every 30 mins to start with, and it sings a song to let them know its time to use the potty. We're starting with the watch today, because she is SO ready. I just had to wait a month until after she peed because we moved, I got a new job, and she started daycare for the first time. Lots of changes for us! Now she's settled in, potty training is the next big step!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2009