height and wieght

When I took my son to this 12 month appt the dr checked his height and weight and said " he's just a little fat but that's ok " I really felt bad when she said that . I feel like if my 12 month old son is " fat" at all it's becuase I've done soemthing wrong . She did tell me over and over that he was really healthy and that he's perfect but I still seemed to not be able to get that small fat comment out of my head. he was about 31 inches long and almost 25 lbs. what do you think? Is he over weight??

AshleyG.

Asked by AshleyG. at 12:20 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your baby's weight is fine. If you plot it out on a growth chart he is only just above the 75th % for weight and he's also around the 80th% for height... so he's just perfect.
    And even if he were fat... he would likely slim down. I have a nephew who was like 110 for weight and only 5% for height (he looked like a little ball! LOL) when he was a year... as soon as he started walking a bunch he thinned out. He's 20 months now and only weighs like 29 lbs and 34 inches.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I don't think people mean anything bad when they say that about little ones....my daughter looks "fat" but I love it and think she's adorable. Who doesn't love a chunky baby...if he was 8 or 9 and the doctor said he was fat then I would be concerned, but he's just a baby! :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• well thats the same as my son and they said he's perfect and where he should be and he's 12 months too.. Some people have different ideas of what is and isnt fat. As long as they aren't over on the percentile chart than they are fine..and that height and weight is in the 70% and u should be at 50 but thats the average for his height and age...I wouldnt worry.
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 2:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My almost two year old is 26 lbs. So he is a big boy, but not necessarily fat! Is he walking, crawling? Those can take weight off. Also, they typically start slimming down in that second year. I wouldn't be concerned, as long as you aren't stuffing his face with milk (I mean all day), cookies, juice, or junk food :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• my son at 18 mths was 32in long and 26lbs. his doc. told me that he's a bit under weight, even though he eats like a man, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My daughter is 29 1/4 inches and 25lbs and her doctor said she's perfect (she's 14 months).
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2009