My newborn will stay in a cradle until he's 7 months (when he could sit up) I then will switch him into a crib , Do you think I need a Mobile or will e be to old for one? Also crib sets I heard are a waste of money, what are some things you thought you "Needed" & then said what a waste of $$$ ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Crib sets are mainly for decoration. Cute, and if someone else wants to buy it for me, fine (as long as they pick the one I registered for), but I won't spend the money on it. Crib sheets and the baby blankets we have in abundance work just fine. Also...Diaper Genie was a waste of money. Did less to eliminate smells than simply placing the diaper in a plastic shopping bag before throwing it away, and the refills for the Diaper Genie were way too expensive for a bit of plastic. Our favorite buy? The foldable booster seat. We have 2. One that stays on a chair at our table, and one that stays int he trunk of the car, and goes everywhere Lil' Bit goes. Much more convenient than highchairs once they can sit up on their own, and alot more clean than the child seats provided at restaurants. P.S. My Lexi had to be out of her bassinette/cradle by the time she was about 4 months old (when she started rolling over). :)
    aleison

Answer by aleison at 6:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Yep. Crib sets are a HUGE waste of money in my opinion. You could go without a mobile. I also think diaper warmers are a big waste of cash.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Seven months might be a little too old for a cradle. Very often they can roll over, and push themselves up by then.....many are crawling. A cradle is generally used like a bassinet, just for the first couple of months. Of course, maybe you have a different kind of cradle?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• First of all usually babies sit up around 5 - 6 months. Anyway you dont really need a crib set just by some sheets. Also my daughter never used her mobile.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 12:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'm a DIY-er, and made the comforter for my son's crib, as well as the mobile. Crib sets are a waste of money in my opinion. Babies don't need that much. Most of them come with bumper pads, which are actually quite dangerous and can increase the risk of SIDS. I don't like fancy, elaborate sets, and prefer a streamlined/minimalist look. Because of this, I purchased a "SNIGLAR" crib for 79.99 from IKEA. It's very sturdy, and will convert into a toddler bed. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60091931

The mobile I made hangs from the ceiling, and is simply a few branches from the yard, with colorful birds that are hand sewn and stuffed. I had scrap fabric. Whole thing was $10 to make. Though you don't need a mobile, it's nice to have something for the baby to look at while resting in his/her crib. No need to spend so much money!!!
    kelli0585

Answer by kelli0585 at 1:08 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• We bought an awesome medela breast pump and then was only able to use it for 4 weeks (my body was clearly not ready - long story but anyway), I feel terrible spending close to $300 for it only to use it for such a short time, and I tried EVERYTHING to be able to breast feed longer. Bottle washer for the dishwasher was a gift, we used it once or twice but I find I like to hand wash the bottles and then a few times a week steam them in steamer bags (for us these are an awesome value).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• waste of money- breast pump, i couldn't breast feed. and pacifiers, she only used them for a short bit, and she only liked the ones that were shaped like the nipple on the bottle.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 4:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Burpcloths--they're too small. Old towels are big and work great. Shoes before walking--socks are fine, they even sell some with rubberized bottoms for new walkers. Cute newborn outfits--could I tell you how many cute newborn outfits she outgrew before we ever got the chance to put her in them? Wipes warmers--c'mon, do I need another thing with batteries? People also do without changing tables and special diaper pails.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• No mobile. Once they can sit up/stand up there's a posibility of them being able to reach the mobile and hurting themselves
    WendyJR

Answer by WendyJR at 8:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2009