Is labor REALLY easier the second time around?

I've been told with the second its half the time, and you usually go earlier. Is this true? Is it the same rule for inductions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's different. From women who have had many pregnancies, I understand that it is different every time.

You have a better idea of what to expect, which can make you more comfortable just because you're less freaked out. You believe in your body's ability more than the first time, having already gained experience of it being able to do what it needs to do.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:45 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• No~ there is no sure rule about anything labor related... sorry! ;-P

Many women do feel like they have "easier" labors the second time around. And many are the opposite.

Making sure that mom's body & the baby get all the opportunity to line up and do their dance is a priority. The more so they've done this, the more successful an induction can be.

One thing though, is that if a mom has been through birth before, she's usually less nervous the next time. That fear DOES affect her labor. So with some of that out of the way, she can progress more quickly.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:51 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• That isn't true for me. My first born, my water didn't break until I was right there ready to push. With my daughter my water broke early on and the contractions were more painful sooner. They also had a 2 pound weight diffrence so that made her delivery harder than my first. My labor WAS however shorter with the second one but that could have been from my water breaking early, not because she was my 2nd. I agree with doulala though, having already given birth I knew somewhat of what to expect so everything was less scary and I was less nervous. Good luck babe!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 2:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Heck NO! My second HURT LIKE HELL! LOL and My first was a sinch, push push push, she's out... I was screaming on my second, IT HURTS IT HURTS! and on my THIRD OMG it was horrible!! not so much the delivery because she was in distress so i pushed as hard as i could, my mind was set to get her out so she'd be ok.. but the labor.. 21 HOURS of HARD LABOR! so I'm just dreading if I have another how thats ganna go!
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 4:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• For my my second labor was a little too easy.LOL. I didn't believe i was in real labor at first. But i knew when my contractions became conistant, even they were 10min. apart, i knew it was real. By the time i got to the hosp. I was 6cm. dialated and gave birth 2hrs. later. My 3rd was a little more difficult though. So it is NOT always true you labor will be easier, but more than likely it will be shorter.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:23 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I was in labor with my 1st for 14 hours it was very painfull an with my 2nd i was in labor for 4 hours! Im 37 wks prego with my 3rd an i have a feeling its going to be a long labor ive been in early labor now for 2 wks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• It was true for me. Although, all 3 of my labors have been easy. With my second one I got to the hospital at 9pm and was 8cm dialated. My son was born at 10:04pm and I did it without anything for pain.

My third was the easiest. I was induced with cervidil and went to sleep around 11pm. I woke up around 1:40-1:45 in pain and my doctor checked and I was 9cm dialated. While she was getting ready I felt a contraction and moved to get comfortable and my water broke. I immediately felt the urge to push and tried not to because the doctor wasn't ready. The baby didn't want to wait though and ended up being born on the bed. I had to tell my doctor she was out. lol

I'm due with number 4 in 2 weeks but have an induction scheduled for next week. I'm hoping this one decides to come on his own this week. Hopefully he'll give me a bit of warning so I can make it to the hospital in time. lol
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 9:28 AM on Sep. 7, 2009