Best way to sleep when congested

My daughter is congested and her tonsils are swollen. She's having a hard time sleeping because she's snoring. Is there anything I can do to help her get thru the night until we can get to Urgent Care in the morning?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Lift the head-end of the mattress. Make sure the room is cool and humid --you can just put a bowl of steaming water on the floor in the corner near the head of her bed. You don't say how old she is --it's important to make sure she's not left alone with a bowl of water. Or, having difficulty sleeping.

You'll get a bad sleep for the night, but you'll know how she is.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:41 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Shes 5
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Try propping her up with pillows. I know when I'm really congested, I have to sleep with like three pillows because if I lay down completely, my nose closes!!! GL!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• sorry , my son was sick for 3 days samethng i made sure he was always propped up and a few times i rub vicks vapor rub on his back and chest, also on his feet and then cover them with socks ..i also got very warm water and a wash cloth and applied it to his back for a few seconds and again into hot water wring it out    and repeat until water is no longer warm ,give her lots of vitmn C if you don't have children vityou can dilute  a reg one in some water and have her sip it slowly ...hope and pray she gets better. ps don't give anything colder than room temp.. if you give her cold stuff this will make her more congested

annyPG

Answer by annyPG at 3:18 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I like vicks vapo rub. it works great. I even use it for myself.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Vicks makes it more difficult for my kids to breathe. The vapors are too strong...and it aggrevates my asthma anyway.

Elevate the head of her bed (towels under the mattress) and run a humidifier.

Extra vitamin C helping colds is a fallacy.

Cold drinks, popcicles, etc will help the swelling in her throat, warm drinks will help soothe pain. (cold does not cause more congestion, nor does dairy products)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Elevate her head and run a vaporizer when she is sleeping. Put the Vick's Vaporub on the bottom of her feet and put a pair of clean, white socks on over that. It will help with the congestion but isn't strong in her face. IT works. Keep her hydrated, and keep a glass of water next to her bed so she can drink it through the night. Dairy products doesn't increase congestion, but it does make the phlegm thicker.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The Vics on the socks works well... as strange as it sounds.

My son has a lot of congestion in the winter and we have a wedge shaped pillow we put under the head end of his bed to elevate his head while sleeping. (He's 5)

Also we run a humidifier w/ that smelly oil stuff in it... I can't think of the name right now.

KATEISME

Answer by KATEISME at 9:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• When my kids are stuffed up we smear baby vicks (they have sensory issues and regular vicks is too strong for them) on their chests and back, and we have a humidifer going in their room. I also push liquids and chicken soup broth.
    I hope your daughter feels better soon!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I've used vicks on my daughter's feet with a pair of socks over them as well, and it works! You can also give her honey and lemon mixed in really really warm water (hot water if she's ok with it). The lemon will break up the phlegm and the honey will soothe her throat as well as make her salivate a little more, which will also help keep her throat clear.
    Good luck!!!!!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:58 AM on Sep. 8, 2009