When is a good age to start potty training?

This is my first child. I have a son. I don't know when to begin or how to begin the potty training process. I've read that look for signs of your child always wanting to go into the bathroom... My son loves the bath. Also I've heard look for your child always wanting to take his diaper off. So if anyone could help me please let me know. I want to know if there is any signs that my son is ready or if there is a certain age where I should start the potty process.

fulltimemomi

Asked by fulltimemomi at 1:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I STARTED POTTY TRAINING MY DAUGHTER WHEN SHE WAS 1 1/2, I TOOK HER EVERY 30 MIN. IT WAS HARD BUT GOT THROUGH IT, THE GOOD THING IS "NO MORE PAMPERS". BUT I MADE UP A POTTY SONG FOR HER I THINK THAT MIGHT HELP. I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY ABOUT TAKING OFF THE PAPER CAUSE MY DAUGHTER NEVER DID THAT BUT IT COULD BE A SIGN THAT HE IS READY TO GO POTTY.
    SILVIAR

Answer by SILVIAR at 2:31 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Potty training is a long process, but been successful at it, it is the best feeling. The signs you mentioned, the diaper off, loving going to bathrrom always excellent signs to start. I think the best way for a boy, is have his daddy go first. It is easier for boys to be taught by dad's, it just makes ur life that much easier. Keep asking him, do you want to go like every 20 mins. His mind will start alerting him that he needs to go, and it start becoming automaically done, without u asking. Just be patient it is a long process, but u will eventually get there. I didnt need for a book or a song to encourage her. Just talking to her and making her understand that she needs to it in the bathroom. I find books n songs are more disturbing. Good luck. : - )
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 8:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Honestly, you will know FOR SURE when your son is completely ready to get serious about potty training. For me, I started with the idea, when my oldest son was a year old. Gave him plenty of opportunities to see what happens in the bathroom and let him try, progressively talked about and pitter patted about the idea until he was 18 months and then got serious. He was potty trained completely by 22 months old. You have to watch, and remind, remind, remind. If he can verbalize that he needs to go to the bathroom, ( the diaper thing I'm not sure is a great "sign". My (youngest) one year old now just figured out how to take his diaper off and run around naked!) One thing I had to remind my husband of, is that you can NOT get frustrated with the kid. Don't get angry, if they have an accident, don't worry, just try again. I think the best deals for any type of pull ups is BY FAR at a Sams Club or Costco. Good LUCK!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• When the child shows signs that they are ready
    Laceymay

Answer by Laceymay at 3:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2009