Is there an income requirement for fostering?

I know this is in adoption, but it's the closest category. I'm under the impression either you have to hit certain income requirements plus the costs of adoption to adopt... but how about to foster? I have been told that sometimes you are paid by the state, especially if the child is special needs. But is there minimum income requirement the family has to be bringing in before they can foster? links and answers are greatly appreciated.
thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Adoption

• As far as i know, in my state there is no income requirement. I have known a few people who did foster care, and then when they stopped fostering they moved back in with their own parents because they couldn't afford a place of their own.
    I'm sure it probably depends on the state. California here.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:23 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• oregon here...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I have friends (here in California) who have fostered. They require that you have at least SOME income other than what you get for fostering the child(ren). They don't want you relying solely on the fostering income (it does pay, here in CA, special needs just pays more). Many people do in-home daycare and foster around here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• This is anon 11:33...I just realized I didn't answer your question very well. I don't know the exact $$ amount minimum they require, but know it is not a "full" income. It is ok to get part of your income through foster care, just not 100% reliant on it. Sorry I don't know the details, but hope it helps. Any foster care agency should be able to answer this question for you very easily, I'm sure. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• my SO (not married yet, but together for 5 yrs) works full time. I work part time. but i have always wanted to be a SAHM. we have A LOT of love to give. I have reproductive issues and we only have one baby, an angel baby. IF we decided that foster to adopt (or just fostering) is the right choice for us, which I have been considering a lot lately, I would want to be there as much as possible, not work outside the home, unless necessary. So yes we do have income. but by no means are we rich. i guess we would be considered lower middle class? about 37k+ a year. i think here in oregon they pay a little and up to 2?00 mo if the child has severe handicaps/special needs. and then the child gets there SSI which is to be spent on their needs/wants. My sister was telling me this, she started doing respite care for a foster (or maybe adoptive?) mom of a 9yro with some special needs. only like 20 hrs a month. she gets $188(?)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• We are Foster Parents in our area you need to make enough to support yourself and the foster kids because it can take a month to get reimbursed. The kids do get assistance for therapy, food stamps to supplement the extra costs of food. They pay for the kids clothing and other expenses. You have to submit those expenses. They do it this way so people are not fostering to make money. They pay just what the kids need and that is it. If a family is in huge debt and close to forclosure or in bankruptcy they will not allow the person to foster. They feel that is too stressful of a situation to put kids that are already stressed into. Because of our new rules we lost half the foster parents they were in it for the cash. The other half were fine with the rules and better class of foster parents have applied. We have people from all walks of life that do foster.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Normally you have to show that you can support yourself without the foster care payments. For the foster care agency we went through, we had to show a worksheet of our monthly income and expenses. Sometimes they do require that you show proof that you are spending so much on clothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/children/fostercare/fosterparents.shtml

OP-If you are in Oregon, this is some info about becoming a foster parent. I would suggest that you contact your local DHS to find out the next orientation or class schedule. I don't believe that your income would be a problem. You have to be able to support yourselves. The first class could answer a LOT of questions, and you don't have to continue if you decide not to. (We lost 30% the 2nd class.) Because you have to decide if this is something you can physically, emotionally, financially, & spiritually go thru. And still be the strength & refuge the children need.

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• www.dhs.state.or.us/policy/childwelfare/manual_1/i-e51.pdf  Page 4 of this gives the reimbursement rates as of 9/1/09.

Please look into the info now even if you decide NOT to do it for several years. It will change how you see the world. How you look at children and struggling parents. Go alone or with your SO. One other thing to check that could be different than Texas (where I am) is your SO. In TX, single or married/divorced for 2 years can foster. If you are living together, it's not considered a stable relationship, and it's REQUIRED that both be licensed & background checked because the kids would live with both. This might be different in your state. Good luck & best wishes!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• No, but you need to be able to show you can support yourself. The money you get from the state is for the kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2009