Why do people have such an attitude about WIC?

I see all kinds of bad comments here about people on WIC. Do you realize that in the state of Missouri you can have as much as $3400 a month after tax income for a family of 4 & still qualify? I am sure its similar in other states. Why do people come down so hard on families on WIC?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• TO the Anon on here making nasty comments about people who cannot afford kids and popping them out, I pray that you never end up in a situation where your job doesnt cover everything, or you get laid off, or get sick and cant work, become disabled. Because if this ever happens to you then even though you were financially able to have your kids some snotty know it all woman is going to come to you when you reach out for help and tell you, your stupid for popping out kids you cant afford.

The majority of mothers on here were and still are hard working women who just need a little help to make ends meet. Get off your high horse before someone brings you down the level of reality and your forced to truly see things from the other moms perspective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Because most ppl refuse to know the facts about it and won't accept the fact that others may need it. 

NuMommy87

Answer by NuMommy87 at 2:13 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Its an uninformed person who doesn't like it, most people who are on wic don't qualify for food stamps. I think many people just confuse it or lump it all into one group. WIC is a great program in my opinion.

I do however find it funny that the same people who complain about wic ( a nutritional program that you are required to attend classes to be educated about proper nutrition) are complaining that people on assistance buy junk lol, so they don't want you to buy junk and they don't want you to be enrolled in a program that educates parents on proper nutrition hmmmmm interesting.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The reason their income limit's (to qualify) are soo high, is because they want as many families as possible using it, because they realize that most Americans are not eating correctly. It's all about nutrition. <<--- people complaining and putting those on it down don't know this apparently. I am on WIC and happily admit to it.
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 2:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• in this world you will always find that the most ignorant ones are those that speak the loudest! especially when it comes to other peoples' personal issues, & the sad thing is they think they have the right to pass judgement

annyPG

Answer by annyPG at 2:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think a lot of people get WIC and food stamps / PA mixed up. I was on WIC with my first son, because where I lived they qualified you and strongly push it if you did not have Insurance and used the free clinic for prenatal care which I did. So every time I had a check up I picked up my WIC at the front desk. I think the regulationss and supervision of WIC is better then FS / PA. I don't know of anyone abusing WIC.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:04 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• People think it's the same as food stamps and get all up in a tizzy about it.

Know what I get every month for my eight month old daughter?

1 coupon for 4 small cans of Prosobee
    1 coupon for 5 small cans of Prosobee
    1 coupon for three small boxes of infant cereal (PLAIN rice oatmeal or mixed grains, no added fruit or DHA or other flavors or anything), and 2 46oz bottles of juice.

THAT.
    IS.
    IT.

Holy effing hell. I practically had to sign my life away to even get that. Hopefully we won't need WIC once my daughter turns 1. We're only using it for the formula.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• "I don't know of anyone abusing WIC."

I have a few family members who gave away food that they didn't need. I think you can return it to the WIC office and that's legal, but buying it for someone else and just handing it to them is illegal. These family members of mine did it every month. As far as I know they did it with food stamps too...which is also illegal.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I don't understand it either! I am also on WIC. We get cereal, beans, milk, eggs, and cheese! My next appt. We will get fruit and veggies also! I think it is a great program! I actually enjoyed all the classes that I went to!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 5:45 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• 3400 ???
    We make 1600 after taxes if that for a family of 3 and we made the WIC by 5 dollars.
    5 bucks more and we would had made to much .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Sep. 7, 2009