WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE MY 2 YEAR OLD DUGHTER TO UNDERSTAND WHAT "NO" MEANS

I NEED HELP

SILVIAR

Asked by SILVIAR at 2:24 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try implementing time-out? Taking away toys? She'll learn real fast that way.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• idk im still trying to figure out this one,my little one makes tons of trips to his room during the day.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:39 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• try your best not to use the word NO! is not easy but eventually you will get the hang of it , ie... if your dd is touching something you don't want her to touch instead of saying NO find something that she is allow to touch / play and give her the option, this way she has something to do... kids have like this ego "traits" that gets offended when they are told no, so in order to make it easy on us ! is best when we give them choices ,of course there will be times when no must be use with out any compromise ..."No you can not play on the street ..no you can not play with fire ect,ect...at the same time explaining the danger and consequences...most importantly no matter what always show love ,patience yet not putting aside that you are in charge!

annyPG

Answer by annyPG at 2:43 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• LOL! I know how you feel! My daughter just turned 2 august 24th, and she KNOWS what no means, but refuses to listen to it. She knows her punishment isn't going to last forever, and it isn't bad enough to phase her. She loves to push me and her daddy!
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 3:19 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• U gotta keep saying it, u have to mean it as well. Shaking ur head to NO. Taking fav toys, fav tv time, fav whatever it is. But when u do say no...no means no...dont laugh or joke about it. Because the min u laugh, she will now thinks, No is just a joke and she never take u serious. But u just gotta keeping saying, she will eventually learn what no means. Good luck.
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 8:22 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• No thank you. Walk away. Put your hand on her shoulder and steer her in the direction you want her to go. If you are trying to keep her away from the street, and she just wont stop running towards it, tell her, " I said no thank you. Now we are all done." And bring her inside. If she is screaming and you have a headache, tell her, "No screaming." If she keeps it up after you tell her no a few times, bring her to her room, tell her she can scream in there, but when she is with you she cannot scream. Shut the door, and let her out after a min or two (they'll forget why if you wait too long). Ask her if she's done. If she keeps screaming, do it again, and again, until she gets it.

Consistancy, repitition, and redirection fix most of our problems. For the rest that I can't fix, or she WONT fix, I give myself a mommy time out. I step outside and have a cigarette lol A woman can only take so much!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:23 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I agree with the re-direction, NOT the repeating it.
    When the word "no" is used sparingly it has more impact.
    When used commonly, it's just another everyday word...

Keep offering positive alternatives~ change your wording to make something else be a "yes."
    Redirection is an important tool at this stage!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2009