smoking marijuana while breast feeding

today itook 2 pulls off a blunt.ijust had a baby and she breastfeeds.will this hurt my baby?i regret it and it was such a stupid decision.im never doing it again.i was just really going into a depression and dealt with it wrong.i havent breastfed her since i took those 2 stupid pulls. and im considering bottle feeding just cuz of those 2 pulls.i soo regret it.should not breast feed her anymore?will it show up in her blood if itake her to the doctor and they draw blood?so save the bashing plz i just need answers that will actually answer my question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I doubt it will hurt her dear. I would however use this as a learning experience. You've made an awesome decision (in my opinion) and are trying to give your baby the best food ever so remember the feeling you have right now to avoid ever putting yourself in this situation again. Nope, I'm not a basher babe. Everyone makes mistakes. I read about this a long time ago and the pamplet said it doesn't go to the baby but I've also had friends who have breastfed for months and even a couple of years while smoking pot and their babies are doing fine!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:23 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I agree with Katrina. Just remember, whatever you put into your body, your baby gets as well! Also, if you're ever depressed, consider yourself lucky! I wasn't able to produce enough milk for my daughter, so now we're doing the formula thing, and it SUCKS! (I try to look on the positive though; DH can feed her in the middle of the night now too, lol!) But I envy you, and all mothers who are able to breastfeed :)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Why dont' you pump and dump like if you drank. I would think one formula bottle would do less harm than one pot nurse. If it's in your system it's in your milk. I wouldn't risk it.

Don't feel bad, just don't keep doing it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Anon :38 - that's true that the formula would do less harm than the pot, but the poor baby might get an upset tummy from the formula if she's not used to it! OP, be prepared for an upset tummy :(
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:41 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I smoke pot nightly. My DD is hardly a newborn, however, and is only nursing twice daily. I've beens smoking again since she wa about 6 mos old. She is fine.

It is better to smoke cigarettes. it is better to smoke marijuana while breastfeeding than to formula feed. This is from my DDs pediatrician and lactation consultant, and close family friend, who I have discussed these things with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• okay to the woman who posted this question...it was a stupid mistake but you are regretting it so more power to ya. I am glad you realize your mistake and are concerned for your baby...we all make mistakes and this is just showing us you are a human being and a loving mother.
    just dont do it again. I would pump and trash a bottle or two and you and your baby should be fine....

anon 16 above me...what the hell is wrong with you??? anything that goes into your body goes into your breastmilk and you dont know what the long term affects will be to your baby while you get high then nurse her. I dont know what doctor in their right mind that would say its okay to smoke pot and nurse! You need a new doctor and you need to grow up and care about your daughter....atleast the woman asking the question has remorse...when are you going to start putting your baby before yourself?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• according to studies smoking pot here and there is not really bad when breastfeeding...I don't do it and I don't agree with it but many people do it and are just fine.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• btw pumping and dumping is stupid..your milk is like your blood stream you don't pump and dump your blood to get the alcohol out of it do you...no, you give it time...same with your milk...its leaves your milk in the same way
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I smoke pretty regularly myself, after kids go to bed. Nursed 2 kids. My kids have had no problems. So sorry I have to answer this anon, but I've had people on here before tell me they'd try to find me and call CPS on me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2009