9 year-old and mess??

Ladies, I need help! My 9 year-old dd is an absolute slob. For examle, she will eat a snack and throw the wrapper on the floor. Her room is a nightmare, and her toys are starting to take over our living room. I am afraid that dh and I have not shown her a good example as we are messy to, but not to her extreme. Someone mentioned on here a while ago about "the punishment fitting the crime", ie: if she leaves a food wrapper on the ground then she must take out all the trash in the house. Any other suggestions like this one?

emnasmom

Asked by emnasmom at 7:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Every night before bed, she needs to pick up all her toys. What she leaves behind, you gather up, put in a trash bag/box, and store it away. Just tell her if she doesn't care enough to take care of the toys, they're gone.
    In my house, their own bedrooms got to be however they wanted, but "communal rooms" such as living room, etc....had to be kept comfy for all.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You and her dad need to set the example. Clean up after yourselves and keep things as neatly as you would want her to keep them. When she throws a wrapper on the floor make her pick it up. Make her pick up her toys tell her to do it if she doesn't let her know if she is not going to pick them up you will and donate it all to charity. I did this with my sisters kids after they came to live with us. My sister died of cancer and she was the kind of mom that let her kids get away with everything. The kids thought I was their maid. So after they had grieved a bit I sat them down and told them the rules they continued to break them and I let them know if they did not pick up their rooms or after themselves in other rooms I would and it would all go in the trash or be donated. They pushed me on this and I donated everything they left out. They never pulled that on me again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I take their stuff away not just temporarily. If they done want to pick it up it goes in a bag and directly in my trunk so when I go by the goodwill I drop the bag off
    dewahlee

Answer by dewahlee at 1:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• These are great answers :~) Doing so teaches kids to be responsible for their things. My neighbor watched her son throw his brand new legos (it was some star wars lego space ship) into the parking lot. He was showing off to his friends. She made him pick up every piece and watch her throw it in the dumpster.

I agree with every part of what she did, except I probably would have donated it instead.

Something I do with my two year old when she throws her food on the floor is take the meal away. She has learned from an early age that we don't throw food. She still likes to test my limits and I continue to end her meal right there. If your DD throws a snack wrapper on the floor, take the snack away and tell her no more for the rest of the day. Be consistant, be firm . Be a good example. HTH
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 2:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2009