What should he have done?

8 years ago, a group of psychos flew some planes into some buildings, while another psycho started sending Anthrax in the mail. For a week, nobody went shopping, nobody watched commercial tv, and anyone who could avoid working stayed home. Some of our major financial companies lost entire offices full of employees. Some companies lost their entire business, some lost major pieces of their computer networks. People were afraid to fly. Airlines faced bankruptcy. Nobody spent much money on Christmas a few months later. As a result, entire malls went under and all the stores inside shut their doors. The companies that sold the products inside weren't doing much better. WalMart had a record year.
What should Bush have done differently? Should he have sent the national guard to force people to spend money at gunpoint?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:45 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Should he have sent the national guard to force people to spend money at gunpoint?laughing

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• hahaha....(i guess i missed something, eh?) i'm kinda curious, too...people always want to tell what he should've done differently in every other area of presidentialisticalnessdom. (yeah, not enough caffiene yet.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Ohhh very good question! I'd love to see the Libs reply to this one! He should have done EXACTLY WHAT HE DID!!! Go blow up the terrorists that did this!
    Nicole1002

Answer by Nicole1002 at 8:53 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Actually I don't think things were as bad as you claim. And yes go after them was just what needed done. They were allowed to get away with terror attacks for WAY to many yrs.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Actually, in the days following September 11th I was in full support of our president. I got teary eyed when he gave his speech from Ground Zero and I was on board with his requests to go out and shop to show that our way of life would not be disrupted. I was right there with him when he sent the CIA into Afghanistan.

Where I fault him is in the days after that where he began to use the events of September 11th as his battle cry to pass what ever he wanted through congress, where he used it as his reasoning for abandoning international treaties, and when ultimately he used this nations greatest tragedy to divide our nation when he had the chance to finally strengthen the union. He could have empowered Americans to do more than just shop, but I get why he asked us to do it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Where I fault him is in the days after that

I'm not talking about his policies, I'm talking about the economy. Tons of people excuse Obama for spending trillions we don't have because "Bush ruined the economy." They've been saying it for years. Just once, I want someone to tell me what he should've done differently during the first event in his term that had a major negative impact on the economy. It happened to be 9/11. It killed businesses and slowed consumer spending to unprecedented levels. What should he have done differently? He went on tv and told people to go shopping, and those same people who blame the entire economy on him say he was stupid and heartless to do it. WHAT was he supposed to do differently to fix it?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• NAFTA ruined the economy. Clinton signed NAFTA into law. Once NAFTA passed, manufacturing jobs flew south in flocks. This is when unemployment began to rise. This is when people started losing homes. It had very little to do with the terrorist attacks. The terrorist attacks actually created jobs and gave the economy a boost.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:56 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The terrorist attacks actually created jobs and gave the economy a boost.

In what country?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Nicole 1002 - "Ohhh very good question! I'd love to see the Libs reply to this one! He should have done EXACTLY WHAT HE DID!!! Go blow up the terrorists that did this!"

Here is a "Lib's" response to your uninformed answer. Uh, hello, have we blown up the terrorists that did this, no. Have we captured Osama Bin Laden, no. Are we fighting in a war that Bush should have never gotten us into, yes. Think again!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 10:09 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Uh, hello, have we blown up the terrorists that did this, no. Have we captured Osama Bin Laden

Its a whole NETWORK of terrorists. Do you think it all ends with the capture of Bin Laden?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:15 AM on Sep. 7, 2009