How soon is too soon?

My daughter just started VPK August 24th. My son also started daycare at the same place at the same time.. His birthday is October 6th and hers is November 9th. So my question is, is it too soon to invite their "classmates" to their birthday parties. There are about 5 kids in each of their classes. My daughter has not made, and probably wont make any friends (she has several learning/development issues we are working on getting diagnosed and she doesnt interact with kids) but my son has made friends with a few of his classmates. But I dont spend enough time there yet to know these kids or their parents.. Would it be innapropriate to invite them? Obviously it would be more of a way for parents to meet and get to know each other...

Goldie_And_Luke

Asked by Goldie_And_Luke at 8:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, it's not too soon. Our school started 2 weeks ago and we've already been to one party and have another one scheduled next week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Even if we're all strangers? How do I go about givinf them the invites? Ask the teacher to put them in their daily folders?
    Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 10:42 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My son just started kindergarten and brought home a birthday invitation on the first day! He won't be going for various reasons, one of them being that the mother put a list for gifts IN the invitation. (shirt and size, pants and size, learning stuff, tinkerbell stuff or gift cards)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Did you find it weird or offensive to get party invites so soon? (Aside from the direct gift requests.. That is odd to me..)
    Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 11:02 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Getting the invite, not offended. Weird...not so much, just that I never would have expected one on the first day! LOL

(the direct gift requests bothered me a lot and I found it quite tacky...offering suggestions if asked, okay...putting a list under the heading of "gifts" written IN the invitation, BEYOND tacky)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• It's really what YOU feel comfortable with.  If you don't feel comfortable with it, send a treat to school.  If you would like to have a party, keep it simple, lunch with parents (McDonalds) or directly after school with a snack and a few games. With it being such a small class, the parents may want to get to know each other.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 11:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Ask the teacher for a list of the names or just how many kids and send all an invite. B-Day parties are a GREAT WAY to get to know the other moms and kids your children go to school with.
    My son's B-Day is Oct. 9 so I know what you mena about how early in the year but swing it the other way, you'll get an early start at getting know everyone
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• When my children were in preschool, I just brought in cupcakes and favor gift bags for the children, and they had little parties at school. We then had a family oriented one at home, where they would invite 1 o2 neighborhood friends and their parents and siblings (if any)--they had MUCH more fun at home playing together with their toys and such!

My older son is now in 2nd grade, and having talked to many parents who held large scale and rather expensive birthday party productions at popular kid-friendly places, before 1st grade, very few actually showed up.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:15 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'd do a small party at the school if they'd let you.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The school is not going to let you have a party. To something the kids will really like. Do you have any of the bounce house places. That's very popular.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2009