list of absolute MUST haves before bringing baby home?

ill be a new mommy next month just wanna make sure i have just about everything ill absolutely NEED. So what did everyone else find themselfs needing or wishing they had got before bringing baby home? or just the little things a new mom possibly wouldn't think about that's a biggie???

armymum1013

Asked by armymum1013 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No matter if you're cloth or disposable diapers have some of each on hand - you will run out of your favorite at some time and wish you had more or the opposite.

corn starch - it can be the first thing to use on a diaper rash tosooth it immediately.

vaseline to put on baby's bottom and front area before any start of rash - it helps urine and poo roll off baby's skin and not sit on it for bacteria to grow.

start clipping coupons now to have a batch on hand for when you need them - they're usually good for six weeks and longer.

about the vaseline - it's also good for Lightly Very Very Lightly putting around eye SOCKETS and ears, nose, lips to keep out water and shampoo - the vaseline makes the water roll off of it and not get into any of that and irritate baby.

A comb to loosen baby cap.

Congratulations MOMMA - Best Wishes for Your Family!!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• everything was ready for me. my bf did need to go to walmart before we went home to get one of those car-seat covers. and to the mall to pick up the swing we ordered.

but i did make sure all the cleaning was done beforehand. and some cooking was done or easy things were bought to make. make sure all the bottles were washed up,and diapers and wipes ready where i wanted them.
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• First of all i want to congratulate you on your baby!! Diapers and wipes are essential. Enough onsies and sleepers helps too. I had about 20 to start with. Crib sheets. If you are planning on breastfeeding i LOVED whats called My BreastFriend. You can get it at Babies R US and its kind of like a boppy except for it has a clip that is adjustable and it doesn't fall off it you stand up with it. It also has a pocket to keep a burp cloth in. I think it would help even if you are bottle feeding. Thats just me though, my arm always fell asleep if i didn't have it.
    Vaseline is good to have for the bottom along with Butt Paste---diaper rash cream.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Sling - so you never have to put your precious baby down.
    Diapers
    Clothes
    A Few Blankets
    Burp Clothes
    Carseat
    Boobs
    A&D ointment
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• sling or wrap, cloth diapers and wipes, nursing bras, cloth nursing pads, baby onesies and shirts, sleepers. for more advice www.cafemom.com/group/25400

ap.sahm

Answer by ap.sahm at 10:09 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• hmm how do ya'll even know shes BF & using cloth diapers?! You are telling her to have all this nursing stuff ready and you dont even know what shes doing. stop pushin your methods on her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You HAVE to have a car seat... best with one that has a carrier. I know a car seat is mandatory in the United States. They will check it and you can't take baby home from the hospital without it.

If you go with disposable diapers get the next size up. Newborn diapers do not last very long. I seriously think they were made for premature babies. Also have outfits that are 0-3 months rather that newborn. Again the same reason.

Have help! And more than just one person. Tell them what you need. Be it them cooking... cleaning... whatever. As a reward maybe they can make cute faces and baby talk the new edition.

Get plenty of spit up rags/towels (I often just used kitchen towels I didn't care about for this).

Make sure you have a rectal thermometer. NEVER get it confused for an oral. Get covers to go over it, but still clean it before and after every use.
    lovemylilsweetp

Answer by lovemylilsweetp at 10:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• We are just telling her what is natural. She doesn't have to listen to us. Geez get a grip lady.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Preemie diapers are smaller than newborn. My daughter wasn't premature, just small, and she wore preemie for like a month and newborn for about 3 or 4 months. Just depends on your kid.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• a bath chair or sling. Somehting that can fit in the kitchen sink because you are NOT going to want to lean over in the bathtub with a wet squirmy baby. I got a mesh chair and put a washcloth over it to keep it from being to slippery.
    Congrats and good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 7, 2009