Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you ever afraid of carbon monoxide?

I really need to get some detectors and stop watching horror movies and the news. I read in a magazine that homes heated by natural gas can have CM issues. Yikes, we use natural gas.

Answer Question

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:34 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 17 (3,823 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I got CM poisoning at a friend's house when I was in high school, NOT fun. Luckily one of my other friends sleeping over got up to use the bathroom and when she passed out on her way out the door she knocked over a bookcase and woke everybody up. If she hadn't, I probably wouldn't be here right now. We have a detector in our home.


    Answer by whittear at 9:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • I have a detector. I live in an apartment building. A few years ago a neighbor had some pipe problems and some changes were made in the building. We actually smelled some gas many times before the changes were done. I am more confident now that we are safer.

    Answer by saltycoqui at 9:39 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • It's the law here to have carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your house and near the bedrooms. We need to get a few extras because they actually expire. Ours went off a couple months ago but it was odd because it's summer and we weren't even using the heat (we do have a gas stove, the water heat is gas and the dryer so I checked). I had to look up the instructions for our unit online and found out they are only good for about 7 years and then you have to replace them. Ours are much older then that.
    I don't worry much about it though. We'll replace the monitors this winter and it will be fine.

    Answer by justanotherjen at 9:53 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • Yes that is why I have a carbon monoxide detector.

    Answer by JoyandLove at 10:01 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • yes I am the same way everytime I hear about it on the news it scares me we really need to get one as well.

    Answer by mommy5409 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

  • Hmm, yeah i crack windows - even in the winter so that we are less likely to have CM poisoning. Along with the use of detectors. I am kind of paranoid about things like that....

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.