how do i get him to listen?

my son is 21 months and he says "no" all the time. he throws things, and he has fits and throws his temper around... i wanna know what type of discipline i should use. i do time outs and that works for the time but not long term... ive been doing time outs for about 3 weeks and he still throws things and yells "no" when hes upset... he even runs away from me.... idk what to do?

how do you discipline your kids, and what age are your kids? what should i do?

wisteriastars

Asked by wisteriastars at 9:49 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We do a mixture. My 4 year old. Gets 4 min. time outs for not following the house rules. ALso going to her room when she is at the end of her rope. And playing the computer when she is tired and cranky, that way she isn't driving any one crazy and is content by herself. ALso stern talking to when she is not sharing with her sister, or being mean. We have clear expectations on behavior and I may have to explain them weekly but she knows what I expect from her and she delivers.
    My 21 month old, gets time outs for 1 min. for hitting and taking, or temper tantrums. And stern talking to when not sharing or being mean to her sister, not sure it sinks in. I keep saying it though.
    At 21 months they really don't have the self control to behave consistantly. As far as the constant no's, give him choices, like out of 2 things that are both fine with you. Keep repeating he will get it eventually.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:26 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Get the book beyond time out: http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Time-Out-Beth-Grosshans-Ph-D/dp/1402752970/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252336396&sr=8-1

It's a life saver! It explains everything in detail of why traditional time out doesn't work and how to make it work in not just the home, but other people's homes and the car and restaurant. It's a really good price on amazon too.
    lovemylilsweetp

Answer by lovemylilsweetp at 11:15 AM on Sep. 7, 2009