using a different address for schools

As of right now I live with my parents in the district I want my kids to go to. However I may need to move out of district to find affordable housing. when I do that my kids will still be attending daycare in district and going to my parents house after school. Would it be wrong for me to use my parents address for registration purposes since my kids will be spending alot of time there ?(I am a single mom with 3)

3rdtymsthecharm

Asked by 3rdtymsthecharm at 10:16 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in

• I am going to be doing the same thing with my son when he is old enough to go to school. I live by a really bad elementary school (it got a C rating last year), where he would have to go too, but since my mom will be watching him after school, I am going to be using that address (technically it is still my house too...that's what they say anyways!) so he will be able to go to an a rated school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Where I live it is illegal to do that, you must put the address where you live. If you are living there now it's fine for now, not sure about if you move, you may want to ask the school and tell them since they started there you'd rather they stay. They actually have people who follow the school buses in certain areas around here where it's common for people to purposely lie about their home address to get their kids into a "better" school, and they investigate families that seem suspicious and press charges if they find people who do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• where i live you can live out of district and still go to the school of your choice you just have to fill out extra paper work and provide the trans. because buses won't go out of area.
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 10:39 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• wrong? yes. common? yes

Answer by rkoloms at 11:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You seriously have to ask if that is wrong? Well yaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Better hope you don't get busted.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My kids go to school way out of district but instead of risking it why don't you ask the school if they accept open enrollment forms for kids out of district with my kidsthe only rule is that I have to provide transportation to and from school but the school is very well aware that we live 40 minutes from them. Also the likelyhood of them approving it is better if they are already attending the school. Were I live if u falsefy your adress the kids get expelled from that district.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Nope. I do it and so do a lot of other people. Also, most school districts have open enrollment in which you can ask for the child to be able to attend the school out of your district.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Answered at 10:39 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 by: WhatevaItTakes
    where i live you can live out of district and still go to the school of your choice you just have to fill out extra paper work and provide the trans. because buses won't go out of area.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same here. My SIL wanted to go to the high school I went to until she realized a) they did not have a daycare on site nor a daycare close by and b) she couldn't get a bus there at the time she needed. She eventually realized it was just easier to suck it up at the high school she would have went to.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 6:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2009