Believing on faith alone...

I don't understand this concept AT ALL. It makes no sense. Someone in another question replied that the bible says you are not to question God, you are just to have faith. SO....my question is:

If the president of the US came on TV and said "I am going to do a bunch of things right now that you wont understand or maybe even agree with, but you MUST take it on faith that I know better what is good for this country than you do!" Would you believe him wholeheartedly? Or would you be skeptical and want more info? Do you think it's wise to follow a leader like this, without questioning whether he has your best interest in mind?

(Lets PLEASE not make this an Obama debate....pretend the president is not Obama or anyone else, pretend he's someone you voted for and like. Please? LOL)

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• OK We do have free will. We can Question. Sometimes an answer come sometimes it doesn't right away. When you question and seek you learn. The problem is there are many who listen to men or women who have no clue of what they are talking about. Yes all the answers are in the Bible but it take years to learn to tear apart to cross reference. It helps to have other sources. Use your own mind the one God gave you, Don't just take what one person says as the gospel truth look to see what others have found. If it makes perfect sense then it's true, don't just blindly follow. Faith alone is not enough. Be it God or man.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I would except God is not fallible whereas man is. He knows the hairs on your head. He knew you before you were born. He sent His son to die for you so you could live forever with Christ Jesus.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:49 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• So, Glickstein, if you heard 'Gods' voice' telling you to blow up a building with innocent people inside, you would simply do it and not question the reasoning behind it? You would trust that he has a 'good' and 'loving' angenda behind the murders and all will turn our hunky dorey in the end?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:53 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Glickstein, You accept God is not falliable ONLY because HE said so in HIS book that he supposedly inspired. How do you know he's not lying if the only documentation is his own perspective? Why in the world would you totally trust someone JUST because they themselves claim they are not lying?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• This makes me think of the women who go into postpartum psychosis and kill their children because "God" told them to do it. Then they claim insanity and get a reduced sentence. Blah.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• And for the record, it makes absolutely no earthly sense to me either. IF there is in fact a deity up there, it's so big and vast that we can't even begin to imagine its name or nature. But for now I'll stick to my comfortable belief that there isn't a big poppa up there looking out for me. I'd rather be responsible for my own actions.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:56 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• this is silly in itself, op. for those that believe, God and man are not comparative. nor would be a president to God/a god. why question why, when you insist on not considering faith as a part of belief?
    why would xtians/others who believe in God..not consider ON FAITH what they believe to be true (i know, i confused myself), and not believe that what He said in His inspired-word about those who continually try to disprove our faith/belief? i can't explain faith to someone who insists it doesn't exist. its not a tangible thing. some things are understood with the heart, not the mind. so we have faith, and you don't. end of story.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:03 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• HUGE difference--I mean BIG difference between God and Obama or any human being for that matter. BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG difference. I cannot even think of comparing how I put faith in God up against a human being.

We walk by faith not sight!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You accept God is not falliable ONLY because HE said so in HIS book that he supposedly inspired.

__
    this wasn't directed at me, but I accept God as infallible because of miracles that have happened in my life. Because He has shown me the way, He has given me the strength. I have seen and felt his tangible presence!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• All I ask for is proof. But nobody can give me proof other than a bible and "faith!". So until proof is given, I remain skeptical of everything.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:12 AM on Sep. 7, 2009