What to do about my 20 month old with a binki and a blanket? She takes a binki still she will be 20 months old on the 11th, but she take a binki I am trying to have her put it in bed and only have it when she is in bed she will do it sometimes, but not all the time.

I was also trying to have her give the binkis to a friends baby and she gave him one, but now since she didn't get that one back she wont give him anymore lol. But she is also carrying around a blanket which I thought most kids carry those for a sicuirty when mom or dad isn't around but I am a SAHM but she carrys it around. She is getting worse about it cause she wont put it down at all she wants to sleep with it, eat with it she even trys taking it in the bath with her lol she started taking a binki around 12 months when i took the bottle away. The blanket she was about 17 months with that. What age is to old to have those and when should I break those things and how? My 4 yr old wan't attatched to anything never carried anything around and only took a binki for the first 2 weeks then she didn't want it anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids never got attached to a pacifier, my friends daughter did and she told her daughter that the Christkind (Christ child) needed the pacifiers. She told her that St. Nicklaus would leave her an extra present for being a big girl and giving up the pacifiers. It worked. (my mom did this with me and my 1st blanket-- she told me Rudolf needed it to keep warm).
    My 2nd and 3rd had their 'stinky-binky' (aka blanket)- which went everywhere with them. My 2nd gave his up just before age 5. He still has it but does not 'use' it anymore. My youngest is 3 and takes his binky everywhere, even to school. He knows that once at school it goes in his cubbie and he is fine with that. He just likes knowing it is there. I would not force the issue, as the more you try to take it away the more they cling. Eventually they do outgrow it. You can put conditions on it though-- like 'only at nap time' or only at home.
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:07 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• also the more i am trying to take it away the more she is getting attatched too it and she also has this ear peircing cry or scream and she will do it for 1/2 hour to an hour sometimes longer before I give in I am on zoloft as it is so when she gets like that I can't take it anymore so I give itn and just give it to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• cut the tips off the pacifiers as for the blanket idk
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 10:53 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My daughter loved her paci! We finally got it away from her at 3, wish we would have gotten rid of it sooner it did shape her mouth funny, she out grew it though. Maybe if you just made it a bedtime thing. I don't know who am I kidding we gave in to her because she made us miserable without out.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 10:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Do not give in, you are the problem. My son had a blanket he could never take with him when we left the house. I told him it could get lost.
    Than I think he was 3-years old we told him we would by him a large fire truck if he gave his blanket to a child who needed one and he said OK. But he did miss the blanket for a couple of days. Just put the blanket away so you do not give in. He was happy with his truck.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• just remember the harder you try to take it away the more they want it. I would wait just a little bit more. 20-months is still very young.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:00 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't take the blanket away ever, I'd keep it at the house for the child to have, I wouldn't drag it everywhere I went, but the paci just throw them all away the child will eventually forget about it and learn how to cope without it, out of sight out of mind.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Honestly, I would clip the tip of them. They loose their suck-ability and then SHE will give it up. As for the blanket, set limits, but I wouldn't take it from her. My sister had her blanket until she was four and the blanket was just shreds!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:43 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Just stop letting her have them when you don't want her to have them. She will fuss, cry and scream...be the parent and just be done with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I'd never take the blanket away either. My son kept his favorite blanket on his pillow every night until he was 10! There's nothing wrong with having a blanket or stuffed animal that they're attached to. I bought multiples of the same blanket, so he could always have one everywhere we went and it was no big deal if it got lost. Only one got lost, so 21 years later, we still have 11 of them, lol.

As for the pacifier, I know it's hard for you with your circumstances. You can explain to her that she can have the pacifier anytime she likes, as long as she goes in her bed and stays there. Your ds may spend a lot of time in bed for a day or two, but she'll get sick of that . Just stand your ground.

That's what our house rule was. My 21-year-old has perfect teeth, no cavities, never needed braces, and no speech problems. He was allowed to have his pacifier in his bed only and gave it up on his own when he turned 3.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 12:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2009