im 33 weeks along and due October 30th, i plan to breastfeed but not sure what i need to do to prepare..what kind of supplies do i need?

breastfeeding is a very important decision to me although im lacking on info. Im wondering what types of supplies i need and should i pump or feed directly from the breast? ANY AND ALL TIPS/SUGGESTIONS/INFO would be extremely appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Prepare your nipples! I was always told that but just shrugged it off. When you first nurse it may not hurt but the more your baby does it the more sore your nipples become. Try rubbing them in the shower with a wash cloth to kind of "ruff the up"... your nipples may still crack/bleed when baby comes along but at lease try. GL!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I HIGHLY recommend getting a comfortable recliner style chair for the nursery (check clearance sales at places like JC Penney) and a Boppy pilliow (goes around your waist)--I had one with Velcro that helped it to stay put--to support your baby comfortably, and allow you to relax your arms and chest muscles. You might want to buy a breast pump, and store the breastmilk in special bags/bottles. I had an electric one but actually preferred the manual hand-pump version better, to give yourself the occasional break, or to allow your husband to participate in feeding your child.

Remember to take your time, don't stress, feed on demand or when your breast feel full (or pump to relieve the pressure if your child doesn't want to feed).

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:06 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• congrats to you! I am due Oct. 23rd with twins. I breast feed my two older girls and want to breast feed my twins as well. I think you need nursing pads, cream for sore nipples, a few good nursing bras, If you can a good breast pump like Medela believe me it makes a difference, you can rent one but they usually don't recommend using bottles for the 1st few weeks  anyway until you and the baby have learned the ropes of breastfeeding. Your hospital should offer breast feeding advice and supplies. The most important thing don't get discouraged, It isn't easy and it could hurt and take a while to get use to,   everyone's experience is different. My experience was different with each baby. I had more trouble with my second than my 1st.

marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 11:06 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Get the baby to feed from the breast as often as he's hungry and you can do it. A pump doesn't give enough of the require stimulus to keep the milk supply going, but the baby sucking does. You should still have a pump no matter what. Even you're a stay at home mom. There will be times you'll be miserable and the baby is asleep or just not hungry... the pump can relieve this pressure. I only know of one woman that was able to relieve this pressure on her own. I could never master that art. You'll want storage bags that are designed for human milk. Ziploc and stuff like that is not designed properly to store the milk so it spoils faster, loses nutrients, and probably tastes horrible. Get a GOOD lactation consultant. This might require "shopping around." And if anyone gives you lip about breastfeeding tell them you are doing what is best for your baby and don't let it bother you.
    lovemylilsweetp

Answer by lovemylilsweetp at 11:11 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• when i breastfed it wasnt rough on my nipples, and she was askin to feed every 30-and hr
    liltexchick

Answer by liltexchick at 11:12 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I would wait to see if you can first. Not everyone can. And it's ok if this happens. I think the biggest asset I had was a plug in breast pump. I bought mine of Ebay and sold if for the same thing when i was done, so it was free! My doctor said all this nipple prep was unnessecary. Get some pads for your bra too! And a nursing bra is wonderful. Shirts that have the snap on the boob is nice to have. Some of those freezer bags for the milk too.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You do not need to "prepare" your nipples. If your nipples crack and bleed, your baby is not latching properly.
    You'll only need a pump if you are planning on going back to work soon. Once your supply is in, you should start to pump and stockpile for when you are at work.Pads,Lasinoh ointment,good nursing bras and a couple of tops are good ideas. A Boppy pillow is a good investment. You can use it for nursing and when you baby is older and learning to sit up.
    Things I wish I had, a footstool. My lower back would hurt when I sat on the sofa and nursed. Also, have healthy snacks you can eat with one hand. I'd be starving, but couldn't cook myself anything because I had a baby on my breast!
    Good luck!
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 11:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• lansolin, boppy pillow, a manuel pump.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• and some BF support phone numbers. Those came in really handy when I was having a hard time!!! To talk to some one when I was getting frustrated and feelin like I wasn't doing something right was a big help!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Some really good shows recorded on the dvr or dvds, find some games you can play one handed on the computer, keep a blanket near where you'll nurse outside of bed (just in case you get a chill) Keep something to drink nearby. Learning to get up andmove and do stuff can bea challenge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2009