People in Virginia cant cook! Ugggg!

I moved here from NC and every cook out I've attended here, the food is crappy! Yesterday's cookout, ribs off the grill were served. NO sauce! Who eats ribs with no sauce! And all the other dishes was stuff bought at a deli! YUCK! I brought devil eggs, a homemade spice cake, and a sweetpotato casserole. Which all got eaten. There were 5 cakes there, all store bought! Gross! Why go if your not going to bring something worth eating?? Isnt a cook out all about the food? I was mad!

forevermom75

Asked by forevermom75 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• my VA experience with cooking was great, i knew many great cooks there, AND in NC. But i've found as the years go by WOMEN in general do not know how to cook anything, refuse to cook anything and are just at a point where it is expected everything will be store bought.
    I'm like you i guess, we spent the weekend with various people at different dinners and BBQ's and my husband and kids were literally starving because all of the food sucked big time.
    And I agree completely, dont bring food not worth eating because you didnt have enough gumption to make something palatable or too cheap to buy something of quality. Cheap crappy food is a big turnoff in my book and just shows no class.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:58 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My husband has family in VA and were from NC, there food was great! I'd show my new friends how to cook like we do in NC, or bring foods I like to the cook out so people ask how that's made and they change things up the next time.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• yeah people def. eat different. i am born and raised va.. but my family, mothers side especially, is all from nc. so i know how to make good home cooked country food.... i love that i have that background! :)
    juandmad09

Answer by juandmad09 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I lived in virginia and i can cook like no ones business. How about instead of complaining be thankful there was food to eat. You could always host the next festivities at your home instead and cook everything so there is no chance that the food won't be up to your standards and for the ribs you could of jsut went and put some dang bbq sauce on it and ate it. Theres plenty of places around the united states that don't sauce there ribs. We use rubs and dont sauce sometimes it all depends.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 11:48 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Mrs. Harsh--I'm glad that you can cook. The cook out was a neighborhood cookout. So everyone brought a dish. That is what a cook out is. I dont want just any ole' BBQ sauce on my ribs. That's a waste of a good rib. Like eating ketchup on a steak. I'm not thankful for food i cant eat, I'll go home an make it myself. I just thought it was crappy to be so LAZY about not bringing something homemade and taking the easy way out. And rubs are fine, nothing on them isnt.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• It could've been worse. I went to a cookout one time where they BOILED the chicken. Yes, you read right . . . BOILED! Gross.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• well gee golly wiz thanks for telling me what a cookout is, I never would have known without you informing me :) You didnt have bbq sauce at your house you could of used? Some people also dont have time to bake-cook things, My aunt always brings something store bought because she works 12-15 hr shifts 7 days a week, So she just swings by the market and comes over. If you want some real bbq i invite you to our home, We smoke most of our meats for those things you call a cookout ( we call them Bar B Ques) . :D
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 12:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Gross bridget, Unless your making chicken soup. That is just NASTY!
    Mrs_Harsh

• Wow. Just.....wow. I guess you won't be attending any more neighborhood gatherings, eh? I mean, the heck with getting to know the neighbors and forming social bonds and all that rot. What's really important is having food that meets your individual standards because, well y'know, everybody should like to eat just like you. Get over yourself already. Instead of criticizing, why not use this as an opportunity to get closer to your neighbors? Whip up a cake and drop next door for coffee & a chat. Maybe you could start a monthly cooking club? If you're so unhappy that they don't know how to cook to your standards, why not give lessons? And, hey, you might make a few friends in the process (or does the prospect of having cooking-challenged friends frighten you too much?).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Wow, I think you need to rethink your attitude and be grateful that people invited you over and you had food to eat at all. Stop complaining and just eat what your brought. I highly doubt it is the people of VA that can't cook, it is that they just cook differently than you do. If you really don't like what your neighbors serve, then stop accepting invites or have the cookouts at your house and do all the cooking, cleaning, etc. No one is perfect and sometimes store or deli bought is better than homemade.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2009