I'm currently taking ampicillin for UTI and stopped breastfeeding for 5 days now, will it be hard to resume breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doctor, my daughter's pediatrician, and my pharmacist all recommended that I stop breastfeeding for the week I was on antibiotics. They all cited the same studies and gave me a lot of helpful advice on things to do to keep my supply up. My daughter HATED taking the bottles of pumped milk I had stored (I was lucky and knew in advance that I would be on these medications). Out of desperation I talked to a lactation consultant about the possibility of nursing while on the meds and she said that I COULD, but that it wasn't a good idea. All of these professionals were aware of specific drawbacks of ampicillan and nursing, and each and every one of them said not to do it. While I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to my kids anyhow, the recommendation of these 4 prompted me not to take my chances with the side effects. The medical websites I mentioned all corroborate with what I was told 3 years ago.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Who told you to stop breastfeeding?? Ampicillin is totally safe to take while breastfeeding.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 11:27 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Sorry. Just amazed at that.
    It may be difficult to get your supply up again, but not impossible. Attempt to breastfeed every 2-3 hours. If your supply is too low or your baby is having latch difficulty from using the bottle, pump 15 minutes on each side after each attempt. Drink a lot of water and eat well and rest. A couple of days of just the two of you in bed would be ideal, but I know how difficult that is. Good luck!
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 11:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You have probably already been told this, but just in case you haven't you should be pumping the milk and discarding it as often as your duaghter feeds to keep your supply up. I don't know about the safety of the medication you are taking and breastfeeding call your Pharmacy and ask if breastfeeding is safe while taking it. If they say yes it should be fine, if it's your preference to wait I totally understand you just dont want to lose your milk supply.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 11:34 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Were you pumping at all during the 5 days you stopped nursing? Obviously if you couldn't nurse, you wouldn't be saving that mil to give to your baby, but pumping and dumping can help keep up your supply while you are unable to nurse - I had a similar situation with my 1st baby and it worked great. If you haven't been pumping, or if the pumping isn't keeping up enough of a supply, you can try taking mother's tea or fenugreek to increase your milk supply. I've not tried the tea, but fenugreek worked wonders for me- I was taking 2 pills, 4 times each day for only about a week. I noticed an improvement after the first couple of days and by the end of the week I was where I needed to be.
    According to pdr.com(physicians desktop reference), breastfeeding is typically stopped before treatment with ampicillan because it is secreted into breastmiilk and is not good for baby (another medical website said it can cause diarrhea)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Not trying to start a debate, but there are very few medications that cannot be taken while breastfeeding. The amount excreted in breastmilk is minimal. I work in a NICU and many moms are on antibiotics and pumping and we give the babies that milk. I myself had a UTI and took antibiotics while breastfeeding and stopping was never mentioned to me.
    The American Academy of Pediatrics approves the use of ampicillian while breastfeeding because the benefits of breastfeeding outweight the slim chance of side affects. Not all pharmacist or even doctors are aware of this.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 11:54 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Unless you had your breasts removed, you CAN do it. Just dump the bottles and put baby to breast. Right now.

And ampicillin is NOT off limites while nursing. NEVEfRbelieve those stupid package inserts; they're always wrong regarding breastfeeding. And docs and pharmacists are genreally not knowledgeable in this area. Next time you're given a med, google "lact-med" and look it up THERE. You'll get the straight scoop fromt he real experts on the subject.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Lact-Med's info on ampicillin is below. Personally. I think the risk of ampicillin is FAR lower than the risk of not nursing.

"Ampicillin is acceptable to use during breastfeeding. Substantial information indicates that maternal doses of ampicillin up to 4 grams daily produce low levels in milk that are not expected to cause adverse effects in breastfed infants. Occasionally, disruption of the infant's gastrointestinal flora, resulting in diarrhea or thrush, has been reported with penicillins, but these effects have not been adequately evaluated."

Answer by gdiamante at 1:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Sounds like someone...lots of ignorant someones...and NOT an IBCLC gave you bad info...physicians references are NOT Dr. Hale...join the group medications and mothers milk..call a REAL IBCLC..they will all tell you that med is perfectly safe...heck safer than formula...ever read about what is IN formula....the medication is safe

GO back to nursing now....and yeah it will be a fight after 5 days and if you don't pump every 2-3 hours the clock when not nursing it will really hurt supply.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 7, 2009