What's your thoughts on these?

What's your opinion on socialism? What about Marxism? And no, they are not the same. Just curious (random thoughts sparking random questions).

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 11:21 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I must be a socialist because I believe I am my brother's keeper. We are not solitary beings. To exist and prosper we must help one another--this is something I espouse in my daily life.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 11:35 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• All roads lead to gov control with any of them.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:35 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think the theory of them is sweet, helping the poor and all that. It doesn't work, though. Anytime you give the government that much power-well, power corrupts. Plus If you can have what you need without needing to work, well, why work? I believe in personal charity.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:42 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I believe we should help our fellow man meaning citizens helping each other. The Government is supposed to be limited on what it does. It should keep us safe from outside enemies and maintain an infrastructure so our country runs smoothly. It should also not implement laws and programs that hinder citizens. Cuba has a system where everyone is on the same footing. They have healthcare, gov provided housing, are told what job they are going to do and the gov decides their very low wage. The Gov also dictates what they can own. Recently they were allowed to own gov microwaves and a few select citizens can have cellphones they cost 200 bucks a month and since most only make 20 a week in income they cannot afford them. Their healthcare is not how Michael Moore showed it that was where tourists and Castros friends go. The other side is filthy and disgusting. Only a crazy person thinks Marxism and Socialism is a good idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I like Marx's theories, or what I remember of them, but I don't see a way to implement them on a large scale without creating too much corruption in the government.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The theory of communism is good -- contribute what you can, take what you need. But it doesnt' work because people neglect to contribute what they can and often take more than they need. In large groups, communism also takes away the challenge to be successful, the desire to work to be better than you were.

While I agree that I am my brother's keeper, I want to be the one who decides what I will give and to whom I will give it. It's not the government's job to be the middle man in that function.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Those that believe in those theories should practice it on their own. They should live with barely anything and give the rest to help others. They should make the sacrifice to live that way because they want to. I give 20 percent of our family take home income to the food bank. It amounts to about 5k a month. We can afford to do that and choose to do that. We pay in a large some in taxes as well each month already. If we had to put all our money in a pool and only got to keep what others got there would be no incentive for us to work the 50 hour work week we do and we would take lesser jobs since no matter what we do we will have the same. We would become like Cuba in time. I don't even think in theory it sounds good.

I believe we all should help our fellow man but we should determine how much we do. Conservatives actually give more to help others than liberals because of that thinking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• And capitalism leads to MONEY control. There are NO perfect systems. Not as long as people are in charge of them.

Neither socialism nor marxism scare me. Nor does capitalism. It's the people who practice them who are messed up.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• They're fine ideas, but impossible to implement. I much rather prefer that people take care of themselves. When they can't, that's what family is for. I have a serious problem being "my brother's keeper" for someone who isn't my brother, even remotely.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:37 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I like America, or at least what America used to be based on and not what its turning into. I like having unlimited possibilities to have whatever I want in life. I like the idea of being able to succeed in life and have nice things by working hard for them. I like the idea of having the freedom to save my money so I can retire early and do whatever I want with my later life and having the possibility to travel the world b/c I worked my butt off to have the money to do it. I like not having a cap on my possibilities and I like that the government doesn't decide what I do with my life as long as I'm not hurting someone else living it. Thats the great thing about our country, if you are willing to work hard then you can have great rewards and if you aren't willing to work hard then you can still survive with the basic necessities given to you but you just don't get the luxuries, well as long as you aren't playing the system
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 3:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009