Amniotic fluid?

I know amniotic fluid doesnt have a smell or at least i think it doesnt.. but does it have a color?? Like, can it be a clear color with white in it?? Almost like the color of the colostrum or first breast milk kind of color??

Cameolynn

Asked by Cameolynn at 11:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes it can look cloudy white and sometimes has a sweet smell it it

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I was gushing it for over a week~ I had a lot of opportunities to study mine. It was never cloudy, but did sometimes have white stringy stuff~ vernix, in it. But was clear, otherwise.
    It was mostly odorless, but maybe a tiny bit sweet smelling.
    They say: Straw colored, straw smelling.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Is it bad to pass amniotic fluid?? Is it something that should be called in to the OBG?
    Cameolynn

Answer by Cameolynn at 12:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• If it's colored, has an odor, you have a fever, baby is not head-down and/or engaged, it's pPROM (before the due period), yes, I think so.

If it's just water-y at term, baby is in position, you're healthy & all: no. I would wait for labor to begin.
    10% of moms have a rupture prior to labor. It is usually fine, a variation of normal! ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• There are 2 layers to the amnniotic bag. Sometimes one will have a tear and release it's contents without disturbing the baby's fluid. Mom will see herself leak and then will be done.
    Also, a tear in the bag could reseal, it happens.
    A "low" tear in the bag will be more of a gush, baby's head can "cork" it, occasionally releasing a gush, it comes & goes.
    A "high" leak is when the tear is up, away from the cervix. Moms might notice a more consistent trickle.
    So much more to say, lol.
    But it's a part of birth~ many opportunities for us to have unique experiences. No two labors are the same!! ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I am 36 w and 4 days preggers.. I had a sonogram last thursday and at that point the baby was breached. Been having back labor contractions. pee has been kinda cloudy a couple of times when I went to the BR. have a non stop headache today.. Of course part of that could be my three year old son....
    Cameolynn

Answer by Cameolynn at 12:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Your baby might be turning~ sometimes those contractions are baby getting in place...
    There are things you might try to get baby head-down, if you are interested.
    The contracting, headache, & pee might be cloudy due to dehydration, too.
    Seems simple~ but can really be a big deal.
    Can you try to drink a few glasses of water. Drink a LOT through the day to see if it helps...
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• If you are only 36 weeks and the last known fact was that the baby was breech you do need to at least go to your doctor and get checked out because if your bag did rupture all the way and baby is still breech they may need to do an emergency c section. That's what they had to do with my sister and she was about 36 weeks to with a breech baby.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2009