how babies start pointing?

Hello, sorry for my grammar but english is not my first language, but i woul love have your opinions......my baby boy is 13 months old (adjust age 11 1/2 months old) and he does not point yet, i see him streching his index finger like if he wants to start pointing but he did not start yet..is that normal? yesterday i was pointing in one of his baby book and i asked him where is the ball (one page had a ball and the other blueberries) and i am not sure if he knows the ball or only was lucky choice but he showw me the ball, nop whit his finger, with the whole hand....he follows my finger when i point something, he bables, nop mama and dada yet, but bables, he answers his name most of the time, smiles me back, cries for me when i left the room, plays with his brother, loves to play peek-a-boo, hides behind courtains for peek-a-boo and start trying to eat by himself with the fork and spoon.is normal that he does not point yet? thx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1134/is_n4_v106/ai_19493091/pg_2/

"Morissette and I found that the average age of pointing was 327 days for girls and 350 days for boys. At approximately the same ages, girls already had a vocabulary of three to four words; boys, one. The rate of speech acquisition, however, is correlated with the onset of pointing." (from the above link)

and

"....as long as an object is in the middle of their field of view, most babies are more likely to point with their right hand than their left."

& "For objects on the periphery, they point with the hand on the same side of the target."

Get your child involved in life because : "The frequency and speed with which babies point depend on the complexity of the event they have observed."

"Babies should point by 12 months. Some do it early, others later. If your baby has
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 12:42 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/287878/how_babies_start_pointing (second quote)

All people, babies included, learn at their own pace and in their own way!

more links here: http://www.google.com/search?q=when+do+babies+begin+to+point%3F&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en

Peace and Love
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 12:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• He's fine. You have to remember that he's a preemie. You should expect his development to be on target for his ADJUSTED age until he is at least 2.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My son was also 6 weeks early. He didn't start pointing until 18 months. When you read books or want to show him something, make sure you point very clearly, exaggerating the motion a bit to get his attention. Modeling it is the best way for him to learn it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2009