Isn't the purpose of any religion to make us better people? Why doesn't it then?

I've read some posts on here, and some of them are quite nastly and judgemental. It seems from reading them, that a majority of the nasty quotes are coming from a few people who are Christains, and have no tolerance for anyone other than a "die-hard" Christian. Before people jump to conclusions and say i'm bashing Christians, no, i'm not. I personally know some people in my life who are Christians and they are some of the most forgiving, loving, non-judmental people i've ever met. I aslo know people who are atheists, agnostic, pagen, and so on, who are just as good as the Christians i know.

I don't understand what gives anyone the right to judge others, condem others, or behaive as if they are superior b/c of their religion? Why can't people be tolerant, accepting, and kind? Is it fear? Is it religious teachings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear.

Fear that they'll be "turned" or "converted" to the other side.
    Fear that they'll be breaking some commandment by being cordial with the other side.
    Fear that their peers will condemn them for being cordial with the other side.
    Fear that they might actually LIKE this devil heathen bitch from the other side.

We bitch and whine and moan so much, we forget that we're all women. We're all moms. We're all human beings. We all bleed red. Our religious convictions are ONE facet of our personalities. People may not know that I like puppies and kittens and other baby animals. People may not know that I like foreign films, especially Asian and French ones. People may not know that my little girl is the best thing that ever happened to me.

But no. People choose to HATE instead of COMMUNICATE.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I was raised strict Roman Catholic, and knew PLENTY of people who I think actually believed "putting in their weekly hour at Mass" earned them a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card! Some of the meanest, bitter, elderly people were the first ones in Church in week, sitting in the front pew, offering to volunteer for just about everything, sang the loudest, and responded the loudest, but no sooner than leaving the Church steps, they would biatch and moan at children, people in their way, etc.

It's like they respected God, but didn't respect the people around them! I took of my religious teachings the concept of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." If I keep that "rule" in mind, I have found that I earn respect from the community.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:58 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Hi hun, in my opinion it is not that religion makes you a better person, but person inside makes you what you are. You can be the most religious person in the world and be the most ignorant judgemental person around. It doesn't matter if you are catholic, christian or wican it is all thats whats inside you. But I do agree with you!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think it's being human and just learning....

Some of us don't learn as quickly as others while some of us don't put into action that which we learn!

Peace and Love
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 12:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Ive been wondering the same thing.....I dont have an answer, but its a very good question, and glad to see someone else who shares my opinion
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Because religion absolves them from social responsibility.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Some of the meanest, bitter, elderly people were the first ones in Church in week, sitting in the front pew, offering to volunteer for just about everything, sang the loudest, and responded the loudest, but no sooner than leaving the Church steps, they would biatch and moan at children, people in their way, etc.

I watched some lovely people turn angry and bitter as they age, I think it has less to do with going to church and more to do with the chronic pain from which many elderly suffer.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 1:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The nastiness is not limited to religious, you find it everywhere on here from breastfeeding/bottle-feeding, vaxing/non vaxing, etc.

I think part of it has to do with the relative anonymity of the Internet, people feel more at liberty to let out the emotions they might hold back when having a conversation with someone standing in front of them.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 1:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I mean, I am who I am. I try my best to present my real and true self on here. I won't lie, I can be mean sometimes, but I'm not mean unless the person provokes me. It doesn't make me feel bad to stoop to someone's level. I can get just as nasty as the trolls if need be.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The purpose of religion is because we are creatures of habit with a need for an outlet for some kind of faith. Even those who don't believe in God believe heavily in themselves and other things. I've never met a person who did not have a belief system of some sort that governed their morals and rationalized the things they choose to say and to do.

Then there's those of us ascribed to religion that have a personal relationship with God. This is so much more than following a rule book but following the God you walk with daily to lead you.

We can't generalize entire groups of people, even those on Cafemom. The fact of the matter is, no matter what religion you are, most people act the way they do because of their own personality and choices. There are people on here that are just as obnoxiously militant as there are Christians who are obnoxiously holier-than-thou. Neither are acurate depictions of their beliefs.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2009