Tofu?????

What should I do with this?? I bought some the other day and now I have NO CLUE how to make it. So what is your favorite Tofu recipe????

Petie

Asked by Petie at 12:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Tofu is amazing. Like pasta, it picks up the flavor of whatever it is in. It can be used in stirfries, grilled, as a replacement for some or all of the ricotta, puddings, etc. We have tofu at least once a week; here is one of my favorite recipes. Send me a message offlist if you would like more.
    General Tsao's Tofu
    1 box of firm or extra firm tofu
    1 egg or substitute
    3/4 cup cornstarch
    vegetable oil for frying
    3 chopped green onions
    1 Tablespoon minced ginger
    1 Tablespoon minced garlic
    2/3 cup vegetable stock
    2 Tablespoons soy sauce
    4 Tablespoons sugar
    red pepper to taste
    1 Tablespoon sherry (optional) (you can sub apple cider or white grape juice)
    1 Tablespoon white vinegar
    steamed broccoli
    cooked brown rice

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Depends on the texture. If you bought firm, you can slice it, bread it, fry it, and make "chicken" parmesian. Or cube it and saute it with zucchini, onions, garlic, and put over rice. If it's soft, you can whirl it in a blender with fruit for a drink, or use it in dips, or spreads in sandwiches.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Drain, dry and cut tofu into 1 inch chunks. You can freeze tofu the night before to get a more chicken-like consistency, but it isn't necessary. Mix the egg with 3 tablespoons cold water. Dip tofu in egg/water
    mixture and coat completely. Sprinkle 3/4 cup cornstarch over tofu and coat completely. Watch out that the cornstarch doesn't clump up at the bottom of the bowl.
    Heat oil in pan and fry tofu pieces until golden. Drain oil.
    Heat 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil in pan on medium heat. Add green onions, ginger and garlic, cook for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn garlic. Add vegetable stock, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper and vinegar. Mix 2 Tablespoons water with 1 Tablespoon cornstarch and pour into mixture stirring well. Add fried tofu and coat evenly.
    Serve immediately with steamed broccoli over rice.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• It's extra firm. So I think I'm going to try frying it tomorrow night. Thank you all.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 6:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2009