Why is believing in yourself so wrong?

Another question got me wondering why religious people have such a hard time giving themselves credit for things they do or great things that happen as a result of them?

Do you think it's wrong to have pride and if so, why (something other than because it's what god says, please).

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 12:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think there's anything wrong with growth or maturity. I don't think the BIble is addressing those things when it talks about pride. Pride, in excess, when it becomes harmful to self or others is sin. Being so full of yourself that you cannot regocnise greatness in someone else or even protect yourself from short comings because you over emphasize your own greatness is unwise and downright dangerous. This is what the Bible warns against.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• pride leads to boisting. if you have to much of it can change your life sometimes for the bad. thats just what I think.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 12:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Because everything I do, everything I am, everything I have is through the grace of God. He can take everything away in an instant. It belongs to him. When I am at my best, truly at my best, it has always been because of God. When I have forgotten about God, and thought that I was the one in charge, things always seemed good for a while, but in reality, they were'nt.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Where did you get the idea that religious people don't believe in themselves or don't give themselves credit for those things?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• weren't **
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Yes, it is wrong to have pride in a "haughty" sense. "Pride goes before a fall" (Proverbs 16:18); this isn't necessarily something that's unique to religions such as Christianity. Even Murphy's Law will tell you that the second you get full of yourself, the very next second you'll trip and fall on your face. There's something very "self-blinding" about pride. Overly prideful people have a very small window of self-awareness.

Being proud in a sense that recognises God and others is not wrong. We can do everything that God has planned for us; as God gives us strength (Phil 4:13). We are not to lean on our own understanding (Prov 3:5). When we do something, we can celebrate the gifts that we have and the accomplishments we've made but Christians recognise that it is God who has given us the inner tools that we work with and our accomplishments in the first place. Applauding yourself and not your creator makes no sense.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• There are many things we can be proud of that we do, but honestly do you really like the person that throws their pride in your face? Humility and pride is very fine line to walk. But I think i understand what you are saying. Those who say God does all for them are showing a bad side of pride. Look how  great I am for God does all for me. This the type pride that Christ and other prophets speak against. By the way I am proud that my OS through his own hard work found the strength to better himself when he could have gone down the wrong road. He made a choice, no one else did. Again Free Will.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You know I think you're a genius like always =)

I really love knowing that I only have myself to count on. If something goes wrong, it's MY fault, not some man in the sky's fault. If something goes right, it's because of ME, not because of some man up in the sky. I am responsible for me. What happens to me is by my will.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• im confident that thru God i can do all things,i breath because of him i know my maker and i have no shame to say without him im powerless.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:57 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• yes if i do something dumb its not Gods fault,but it by his grace Iam who iam.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2009