Self soothing while swaddled

will my son be able to learn how to self sooth himself to sleep while swaddled? he will only sleep swaddled (even during naps) he's 3 months old and everyone i talk to says to j/let him cry it out. i can't do that b/c when he crys he has a tendency to choke or stop breathing. plus it just breaks my heart. he is a breast fed baby j/starting out on rice cereal by dr's orders and nurses every night b4 bed and then i rock him for a few mins and lay him down when he falls asleep. any sudjestions on how to help him teach himself to fall asleep? if i put him down drowsy he has a fit as soon as he hits the matress.

T8rsWife

Asked by T8rsWife at 1:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter had to be swaddled to sleep untill afew weeks ago, she is 6 months now.
    I thought the same way you did, and had the same exact problem.
    I just started putting her down for naps unswaddled, rocking her to sleep then lying her down. Eventually she was able to stay asleep unswaddled. Next I did it at night, rock her to sleep then lie her down.
    THEN when she was afew days shy of 6 months, I lied her down awake but drowsy and let her cry for about 2 minutes then went in and held her hands and shushed her untill she calmed down. It took afew times doing that then she went to sleep. I havent had a problem since, she goes to sleep in afew minutes after lying her down.

Kinda long, but hope that helps
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Maybe try to put him down while he is still awake. I haven't dealt with this but a friend has and that worked for her. I can't let mine cry either, lol. I hope someone gives you better advice and something works for you. Good luck babe!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• alot of people tell me/told me i should let my son cry it out too and i was confused about wether i should or not for the same reasons. ive decided now that i dont immediatly run and pick him up everytime he crys or wines. sometimes ill stand right in front of him and let him see im there, but not pick him up just so that maybe he will start to learn that he can self sooth and that i didnt leave him, im still there even if im not holding him, etc. but i only do that for a few minutes and then i pick him up. i havent swaddled him since i brought him home from the hospital. i think he likes to move his feet and arms around. i was having the same problem with my son when he was a month or two, he would fall asleep while i was holding him, but the minute i put him in the crib, he would start crying. then i took my swing out of the box and started using it! its been a life saver. you should try it, im sure he will love it. GL
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• How long will he cry if you let him? My now 10 month old would cry for 5-10 minutes before he went to sleep, and that was hard - but after a few days of that he started to go to sleep without fussing at all. He goes down for naps and bedtime without fussing, although we do have a "cuddle time" so I can get all my snuggles in.
    We stopped swaddling within 2-3 weeks because he didn't seem to like it, but I swaddled my first son for a very long time because he did. I did put a hearbeat bear in his bed, so he had the same sounds as he did when he was sleeping on my chest. I also kept a small silkie blanket (6" x 6"?) in his bed that I wore under my shirt during the day, so it smelled like me. So he had my smells and sounds in his bed to help soothe him.

Answer by missanc at 1:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Mine slept on their tummy and we rarely had a problem with them falling asleep. (obviously not something you can do while they're swaddled, though)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Even CIO advocates say NOT to do it before six months.

He';ll learn to self soothe when HE is ready. What you do matters not a whit. It's developmental and that's all on him. You can't force him into something he's not ready for.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Why the rice cereal at 3 months? He can't digest it and it won't help him sleep longer. Maybe that's affecting his tummy?
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• We all know there is a difference in a full out cry and a whinning cry. All babies need to feel the sense of security whether it is by swaddling, holding him, or a just a binky. If you let infants "cry it out" during a full out cry, tears and all, it doesn't make anything better. It actually makes them feel insecure. When you are there for them that is also how babies form their trust in you. Now on the other hand, I wouldn't run to them for every little whimper. It is a fine line between comforting and spoiling. But I certainly wouldn't just let him cry.
    Jen_Stewart

Answer by Jen_Stewart at 3:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• OH!!! I forgot to mention that if you do baths at night right before you put him down that help to relax him. I swear by the Huggies Calming Touch Lavender and Camomile wash clothes and Johnson's Bedtime Lotion!!! Bath him, swaddle him, and then feed him. He will be warm, comforted, and have a full tummy. I do that with my daughter and it works like a charm!!
    Jen_Stewart

Answer by Jen_Stewart at 3:19 PM on Sep. 7, 2009