Have you changed your mind about Sept. 8?

This question is ONLY for people who were NOT sending their kids to school Sept. 8 to view the president's speech, were requesting an alternative assignment, or weren't sure what they were going to do.

The White House has "backed off" of certain things that caused me concern regarding the speech. First, they changed the focus of some of the "activities" from Obama's goals to the students goals, which make the questions less political and self serving. Second, the White House has now released a text of the speech for parents and teachers to preview. These were my two biggest concerns, although I still don't like the idea of a lesson plan being provided in the first place. My question is - Do these changes to the program change your mind about allowing your child to participate? And what message does it send to you that they made these in the first place? This is a serious question and not meant to start drama.

Imogen13

Asked by Imogen13 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Here is the text of his speech, as provided by my local paper -

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20090907text_president_barack_obamas_prepared_remarks_for_schoolchildren/srvc=home&position=recent

I have no school aged kids, but I'm still not happen with the fact that they are providing lesson plans in the first place, but am glad to see they are at least releasing the text to preview. Out of principal, I probably would still not send my kid if she were school aged. Your thoughts?
    Imogen13

Answer by Imogen13 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• President Obama is not the first president to address the school age kids like this you know. I do not see what the problem is. People are over reacting like usual.

Answer by louise2 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My school isn't showing it now. They are going to tape it and watch it later....maybe :) But I am not worried about it now. I think anything that could be the least bit misconstrued has been stripped out! My problem was never really the speech in the first place, it was the worksheets and things that were sent from the WH!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Louse...PLEASE show me where ANOTHER president that has done something like this on THIS scale. I have never seen a president try and speak to the ENTIRE country's schools and send out curriculum to go with it!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I was never going to keep him home regardless. But my husband talked to our son's teacher, and the speech is not going to be shown in their classroom as it will take time away from the already-existing lesson plan and the teacher isn't willing for that to happen.

And I don't blame him ONE BIT. That's actually what concerned me more than anything else. With teachers working so hard to get kids prepared for standardized tests, breaking the lesson plan can be a real problem.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

Here you go:
    In 1988, President Reagan gave several speeches directly to Middle Schoolers, and it DID have political content.

The events were filmed and rebroadcast to schools across the nation.
    This is a record of it, from the Reagan Library archives.

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/speeches/1988/111488c.htm

in 1991, President George H. W. Bush addressed students in classrooms across the nation via television. It was a coordinated broadcast, exactly like the one slated to air this week.

Here is a transcript of a portion of it, from the Bush Library.
    http://bushlibrary.tamu.edu/research/public_papers.php?id=3394&year=1991&month=9
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 1:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My kids are going but only because I don't want them to be targets in our very liberal school district. Last year when they had a party celebrating Obama winning the election we opted to keep the kids out. The kids had to write an essay about one of their favorite things about Obama. Most of the homework in my daughters class was about Obama from reading, writing to word problems in math. I have to work in this economy we are not going to one job we need both. So my kids are on a waiting list and in three weeks will attend a private school near us. My kids are already targets because we had Ron Paul sign in our yard. They were teased and bullied by teachers about it. We took it down to prevent that from further happening. It is sick the teachers unions and other Obama followers used our kids to squash our freedom of speech. They will go and listen and let it go out the other ear. They know education is important.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My kids are going. Too bad a bunch of whiny parents have to ruin it for their kids. Maybe their kids actually look up to the President as a role model? But their judgement is clouted because of your hatred and political views. What is the big deal? Can a bunch of third graders lobby or vote?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Yeah, breaking the lesson plan in the first week of school is going to ruin the entire year for them.
    Anonymous

The problem is things like this are used to find which kids are in conservative households so liberal teachers can target and teach their beliefs to those kids. Happens in our district everyday. It happens in many districts everyday. So in some schools this is simply and education speech to other schools this is one of many tools to find and target Conservative adults children. Get to the kids and essentially threaten the parents you have the parents keeping quiet. Call me nuts if you want it happens in our community and did effect the elections.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009