When do you consider a child potty trained?

When they go on the potty consistently as long as you take them every hour or so but never tell you or when they consistently tell you they have to go potty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would say when they tell you they have to go, or just do it on their own.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 1:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• When they're acknowledging the fact they need to use the toilet, not their diaper, to go to the bathroom. They may not make it all the time, but as long as they know to say something and try to use the toilet, you're on a good path.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• when they reached independence---can go all by themselves consistently

(my opinion)
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 1:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• When they go without being told to. If you're still having to take them or remind them every hour and if you don't they have accidents to me that isn't being potty trained.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• When they can go potty completely on their own without anyone's help. Occasional accidents are ok. When I mean without help, that means they can pull up and down their pants by themselves.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• when they quit going in their pants without telling you. Geez even a puppy is house trained when they whine and tell you they need to go outside. what part of that is hard to understand?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Anon 2:45, grow up. Nobody wants your sarcasm.

I agree that a child is potty trained when they tell you they have to go potty and not when you have a timer set to take them every so often. I have heard a couple people say their child was potty trained yet their child had to be taken potty or told to go potty all the time. Just wondered how many people, if any, actually felt the child was potty trained.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2009