i know am not that much good for college,my english language isn't advanced,,but i applied for college coz i knew there is a programm which can help me or prepare me to go to college and take buisness classes,,but every time i ask my husband about a word i don't know;he tells me "how r u going to go college if u don't even know this word"" i feel so bad,,,,any advices

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in

• why didnt my answer show?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:54 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You might consider looking the word up in a dictionary instead of asking your husband. For one, it would save you having to deal with his lack of support & for two, you would learn the words better because you will have gotten their exact meanings. I'm sorry that your DH is not being supportive of your goals, but he does have a point - if you are going to be a college student, you must start taking responsibility for your own needs, even for something as "simple" as looking up the meaning of words you don't understand, a skill most of us learned in grade school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Congratualtions on going to college you will do fine.

Your dh is very mean to say that he should b more supportive maybe he doesn't know the word...lol so he tries to make it seem like he is smart...lol

Just look it up in the dictionary anytime you have a word you come up to and don't know the meaning look it up then when you get your diploma you can throw it in your dh face....lol so neh!!! Not to b mean towards ur dh but he needs to be there for you. GL

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• congratulations on taking that step to furthur your education. don't let anyone make you feel like you have made a bad choice. when you take basic classes like english and math they have lower classes that you can start with so that you can understand what is being taught then you work your way up. when you start a class don't feel discouraged because the other people in the class will be on the same level as you and probably will be clueless about what to do but that is the whole purpose of going to school, to learn what you don't know. as far as your husband making comments like that, let him know how it makes you feel when he says those things to you and let him know that you will need ecouragement and support. also if he is being an ass, you can also go online to look up things you may not know instead of asking him. I think you can do anything you put your mind to. it will be hard but you can do it. good luck!
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• look it up on the internet
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Get a dictionary or look it up on www.dictionary.com

Congrats on going back to school and making your life better.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think going to college is a great idea.

Learn how to use Google to find info online. Find out about colleges and programs you might be interested in. Find out about adult ed courses in your community. They are usually free or low cost and you could take an English course. Community colleges often have courses that are high school level for people that need it before taking the college level courses.

Find out about financial aid. You will need to fill out a FAFSA. You may be able to not onlly get your tuition paid but get grant money that you don't need to pay back.

Learn how to use Word and Powerpoint. If there is a college where you live learn how to use the library and the library's search system.

I hope this helps.

There are free college courses online that people can take for fun. Stanford, Yale, MIT, and Indiana University at Indianapolis all offer free courses. I'm sure there are many others.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• That's great that you want to go to college,I'm all for you. Don't feel bad about what your husband says to you.Just hold your head up let his words give you strenght and go for what you believe in. You can do anything you want if you feel that strongly about it. I'am 48 years young with 4 grown kids and 3 grandchildren and I'am going to night school to get my GED, just so I can go to college. It"s never to late so stay positive show him what you can do.
    CJDMSD

Answer by CJDMSD at 4:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Well, I kind feel bad for him. You formulated a question on here so you know how to use the internet for something. All you have to do is google the word and definitions pop up. Most times they are highly detailed definitions at that. You really like another answer said, have to start relying on yourself to get the answers you need. When you are in class yes, the professor is going to help you but if you keep asking what they consider simple questions, the teacher might question you being in the classes.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 6:00 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I agree get a dictionary and start looking up the words yourself. More than likely since your english is a poor subject for you you'll get a basic english refresher class and you'll need one anyway. Consider it extra learning. Good luck.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2009