Talking in 3rd person

My 3 year old just started talking in third person. "Izzy wants some juice." "Izzy loves you." She doesn't watch Elmo, so I have no clue where she picked it up. Did anyone else's child ever do this?

Silvertears1275

Asked by Silvertears1275 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you correct her in 3rd person? Mommy said don't touch, Mommy is sad that you did that...and so on. I've caught myself saying things that way and didn't realize I was doing it! LOL
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 2:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Hmmm. I don't think I do, but it's possible I just never noticed. Now I have to pay more attention =)
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• haha, that's what I did when my kids were young....and when my girls started talking that way I realized what I was doing, lol !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think at some point we, as parents, do things that our kids pick up on. At least this is cute. watch hoe Daddy talks with them too. He could be the one doing it
    Wyndi

Answer by Wyndi at 5:18 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• It is normal. She will outgrow it. Just like she will call boys "she" and girls "he". She is learning the symantics and pragmatics of the hardest language in the world to speak. She is 3, give her time to learn.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• my 3 year old son does this. it's slowly going away. once he learned to say his own name, he couldn't help himself :)
    fallenruby

Answer by fallenruby at 12:55 AM on Sep. 8, 2009