• In the Spotlight:

stomach bug?

My daughter is 9 months old. She has had a moderate fever from 100.6-102.6 for 2 days. She's really fussy, uncomfortable, slight diarrhea (only 1 or 2 times a day), and a little bit of a runny nose. We took her to the Dr. and they ruled out ear infection, UTI. They just told us she must have a little virus. We are giving her tylenol or Motrin for her fever and aches. How long do these viruses normally last?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter just got over this. She had it for about a week.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 2:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• viruses usually run about ten days (my doctor and my own experience) to about 14 days

ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 2:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Since you don't have a firm diagnosis it's hard to tell. You don't say if she is breastfed and what she eats, which of course affects stools. Having 1-2 loose stools does not sound like a stomach virus.

Fever is the body's way of slowing or stopping the growth of bacteria or viruses. Germs like growing at body temp. So the body increases it's temp to fight the infection. Giving meds to bring a fever down may prolong the illness.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• It sounds like the virus that I have right now. It's been a couple days here.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Like ironkitty said...a virus, whether respiratory or stomach, runs its course in about 7 to 10 days but can take more like 14 before you fully recover.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:13 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• id be afraid of the whole swine flu thing.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2009