How swollen did your hands and feet get during pregnancy?

My fingers have been aching and are so swollen that none of my rings fit the right fingers and i can't bend them down all the way.

Same situation with my feet, I wake up and walk on them and they are just so tender.

I had been massaging my own feet up until now but my fingers hurt so bad that I can't!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:11 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Mine were horrible!!! I looked like I had hotdog fingers! By my 6th month I couldnt wear ANY of my rings at all. My feet were so swollen that I literally could not wear any shoes at all. Flip flops didnt fit, Crocs (you know Im sure how big and ugly they are) wouldnt fit, I couldnt wear gym shoes. I had to resort to getting those jelly shoes, you know the ones that were really popular back in the day, and the only reason those fit was because the plastic was flexible and would mold to my ginormous feet lol. It sucked!! but definitely reduce salt intake, drink TONS of water, and make sure you're doc is monitoring your blood pressure. I had early signs of preeclampsia which is why I was so swollen. But you may be fine. Just keep an eye on it!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 3:26 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• yeah, i dont think mine were that bad but my rings definatly didnt fit and my feet were fucken killing me. i think if they get REALLY bad you should ask your DR because that could be a sign of high blood pressure. i think i saw that on a baby story.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My hands were ok, but my feet and ankles were quite swollen, and had hard time walking at times, lot of water retention.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 2:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Drink more water, number one. Number two be sure you are getting 80-100 grams of protein a day.

And I know it hurts but keep flexing your fingers and feet (elevate your feet when you can) to keep the blood and fluids flowing. I can't promise that the aching fingers will go away. My fingers aren't swollen today and they still ache -- I assume it is just the relaxin hormone loosening the joints.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I haven't had much problem with swelling this pregnancy. I'm 38 weeks pregnant and at the end of the day my feet are barely swollen. I drink a TON of water though. The worst swelling I had was after the 10 and 12 hour drives we made to visit family this summer and the week I helped at our church camp. Aside from those times, swelling hasn't been a problem.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 2:34 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Mine were huge, purple, red, and couldn't bend them. I saw the doctor and all tests were normal but it was time to stay off the feet a little more. Try getting a conair foot spa with hot water in it and soak, after that elevate your feet. It really did help, and felt better too!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• ok i will drink as much water as i can today i promise.

staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:38 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Keep in mind that a pregnant woman should NOT restrict salt. However, if you are eating a lot of salty processed foods that is not helping as you will get too much and the wrong kind of salt. Reduce all processed food intake. Avoid salting your food with common table salt, use sea salt instead.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2009