ok, so here's the actual speech, will you still keep your kids out of it?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Lori, I think it's weird that you are saying it is a bad thing for the President to address school children to tell them to work hard and to stay in school. If your point is the won't listen, then I don't see the harm. If some DO listen then that's great. I only see the positive here...

My husband is a teacher in an inner city High School. The students there really look up to the President and I think that this could be a very positive experience for them. A lot of them are not as fortunate as your children are that they have TWO parents in their home that care about their education.

I really don't see the harm.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• no, I can't afford anyone to watch my child. Plus, I don't feel that it's a big deal with regard to the president's speak. Hey, my daughter doesn't listen to me when I make speeches at home, why is she going to listen to the president.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 2:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• seeing as this is the whitehouse's version, i don;t trust that some convenient omissions have been made, or that this is the watered down version.

even if obama were going to tell my children a story, i would still not want him cutting into the school day--i'm my children's parent, i will read them a story. the only thing obama could ever stand to gain from his broadcast is for more children to get used to his image. there is nothing the president needs to say to kindergarteners that i cannot say to them myself!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My school district is NOT showing it (yay), but I would have requested that they be excused. Regardless of the "message" I don't like that he is targeting young children with his message to "stay in school and work hard." Young children do not have a choice whether or not to attend school--at least where I come from! LOL

There is absolutely nothing that Obama needs to say to school children that cannot be broadcast AT HOME with parents, grandparents and/or guardians watching it TOGETHER!

Why does it HAVE to be done during SCHOOL HOURS? That's where I find it is unwarranted and inappropriate. PERIOD.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think it's great that you are all teaching your children that they don't need to respect the President of the United States. Really, it's great that they will be raised to have no respect for authority, that they should not care about the American people or their expectations on them. That sounds wonderful. I bet you eat your apple pie with the same mouth that sh#t comes out of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Really, it's great that they will be raised to have no respect for authority,

Who says my children do not respect authority? My children are learning to respect those who they can depend on--that would be me and my husband and our immediate family members, ad well as their teachers, their pastor, and community leaders deserving of respect!!

Obama is not their father, and he gets no say in how they are raised. Therefore he has no authority over them, and he will be a distant memory in 3 1/21 years. My 5 and 7 year old children will only read about him in textbooks, he will not have "guided" them any differently than my husband and I will have.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Did that person even READ the copy of the transcript? Bet you not. They much rather turn a blind eye and stick their fingers in their ears.
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• You don't think that YOUNG children are influenced by the "stay in school" message? At a young age a child determines where they are going to go in life. My oldest son wanted to a teacher from the time he was 9, he's a teacher. My 2nd son wanted to be a firefighter from the time he was 8, he's a firefighter. My 19yo has wanted to go in to the Coast Guard since he was 9, he will go in next year after he graduates from high school. My 17yo has wanted to be in the medical field since he was 8 and he's tossed a few options around & in the past 2 years has decided to become a pharmacist. He's going to major in Pharmacy and minor in Sports Medicine. The "don't do drugs message" has stuck with them all, from the time they were in 1st-2nd grade. None have ever used drugs, including alccohol or tobacco.

My ? is this....if it had been Bush or McCain (had he been elected) doing this would it be okay?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Which person pr0udm0m? I read it, and I saw nothing offensive or partisan or scary in it at all.

As for Lorikeet, you really don't think it's valuable to teach your children to respect the Government? Question it, YES. Criticize it, YES. Still you can RESPECT it. Unless you're saying that you want to raise your children to hate America. LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT BABY!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My ? is this....if it had been Bush or McCain (had he been elected) doing this would it be okay?

NO, it would not have been! And It's nice to see that your children's childhood dreams became reality. But do you think your children got the "stay in school" message from whomever the President was at the time, or say, maybe YOUR example, demands, and expectations?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:48 PM on Sep. 7, 2009