Why are people so worried about their babies being advanced?

I'm not talking normal things, but I always see people asking how they can get their babies to do things sooner, walking, talking, crawling etc. Like how can I get my baby to walk at 8 mos, or how can I get my baby to talk when they are 9 mos, you know those kind of things. I guess I mean that kids are only kids for so long so why rush it. All those things are going to happen, why push it? I think they'll do it when they are good and ready. Next thing you know they are grown and gone. I'm on my last baby and she doesn't do things as fast as my last three did, but I'm okay with her being my little baby for a little while longer! And yes I do roll my eyes at the SIL who tries to tell me her 3 mo tried to walk, and he could read at 9 mos. He couldn't even sit up by himself when I had him!lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was just thinking the same thing when I was responding to the question about whether or not putting babies into walkers helps them walk faster!!! I wrote that babies walk when they're ready, just like every other milestone.

My chiropractor was telling me a few weeks ago that his wife started doing that "Your Baby Can Read" program with their son who will be 2 in November, I believe. This child doesn't even TALK yet, except to say "mama" "dada" and a couple other basic words, and they expect him to be able to READ? Sounds pretty ridiculous to me!! I'd sure like to have been the one who created this program and suckered thousands of competitive parents into spending all that money !!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Oh I know, and agree. With my 2nd, I knew he was the last so I was happy when he didn't walk as early as his sister did!
    The funniest example I've recently heard of, was a mom of a girl in my dds' kindergarten class, said her dd was potty trained at 9 moths cause she didnt' want to buy diapers anymore, we pretty much all rolled our eyes at her, lol
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I wonder what the norm is what I ask.....but I agree, they get there at their own pace. I was walking at 6 months and rolling over from birth, my poor mother. My hubby walked at 8 months. But we were just fine with our son to have started walking, really walking, right around his 1 year birthday. I just hope and pray for my children's emotional, social and spiritual health. If they grow to achieve more than some, wonderful, but if they are "normal" good for them too. As long as they are happy, and don't drive us crazy through the process.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• minimo77, I've heard of "infant potty training" before and I am HIGHLY skeptical. I don't understand how a baby who can't walk, talk, and is barely even sitting up, can be POTTY TRAINED!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:33 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• How can a child who can't comprehend bodily functions, or have the mobility to get to a toilet be potty trained? Sounds silly to me.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I was glad when my son didn't start rolling around the room until 8 months. I had that much longer to get around my house without tripping over toys (or baby! lol).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• infant potty trainning is more about the parents knowing the babies signals. It's called elimination control. Personaly I think it sounds like WAY too much work! but hey to ea their own
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:53 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I've wondered this myself so good question, lol. My son was walking at around 9 months but didn't talk until he was two. My daughter didn't start walking until she was around a year old. I think most babies do somethings faster than average and somethings slower than average, it's diffrent for each baby. Rushing to potty train? Yeah, I've had to catch myself and stop myself from doing that. My opinion is that children only have this small amount of time before they have to grow up and have responsibilities and be out there in the world, why rush it. After my first I've now found that I'm able to relax ALOT more and just enjoy them.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• research shows that children should develop within a certain time frame. It can actually be a bad thing if they develop in one area too soon. I tried very hard to get my dd to be an early reader,writer etc. The way things have turned out my 4 year old that could read small words is now reading at or just a little bit above in the 3rd grade. Shrug. I dun know,we can push but sometimes it is just better to let them develop when and as they should. I have not pushed my younger child one bit and he seems to be right on target.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The moms that are pushing their babies or trying to find ways to make them "advanced" are moms that are very insecure and live through their kids. Many moms makes what their baby does about them instead of it being their child's accomplishment. A mom cannot make her child more intelligent anyway they are born the way they are born if mom and dad are gifted the odds are the kids will be.  If mom and dad are average the kids probably will be genetics plays a big role.

Cont.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Sep. 7, 2009